chapter one

CHAPTER ONE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CHAPTER ONE▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LEXIE ABERNATHY adored Halloween. It was everything that she loved; movie marathons, candy, and special traditions that she cherished. Not only was it the start of the holiday season, arguably the best time of the year, in her opinion, but it gave her a sense of familiar comfort. That was something the town of Hawkins hadn't had for some time.

Walking down the hallway with her school bag draped over her shoulder, cries of frustration could be heard from the room at the very end of the hallway. "Lexie!" Emily, her sister, shrilled at an almost inhuman pitch.

Lexie stopped dead in her tracks and stepped back, peeking her head ever so slightly into Emily's room. She stood above her Halloween costume that she had spent weeks preparing, a distraught look overtaking her features.

"I need your scarf! That ugly yellow one with the stripes," she told her, her voice lowering and her eyes not leaving the dress that spread across the floor.

"Ugly? If it's so ugly, why do you want it?" Lexie scoffed lightly, taking utter offense to what she had described the item of clothing as. Emily's head snapped up and she gestured to the dress with raised brows, as if it was obvious.

"I can't be Dana Barrett if the costume's wrong! I need the scarf to tie around my waist, duh. I won't match with everyone else!" she huffed out, crossing her arms in utter despair as if it was the absolute end of the world if her costume didn't end up working out.

Lexie left the door frame quietly and ducked into her room, snatching the requested scarf off of the hook and returning to Emily, who looked at her expectantly. Her sister's eyes lit up at the item in Lexie's hand and grabbed it quickly, draping it over the waist of the bright orange dress.

"It's perfect!" she squealed excitedly. "Sorry for being a little...touchy, there." Lexie smiled in spite of herself, knowing perfectly well what it was like to be a thirteen year old girl who wanted to get things just right.

"Don't worry about it, Em," she dismissed as the younger girl picked up her bag and fell into step beside her sister as they descended the stairs. "And Halloween isn't even until tomorrow."

"I know, but I want to be ready. Best night of the year, right?" Emily pointed out with a grin, sharing the same sentiments that Lexie did when it came to the holiday. She had stopped taking her sister out trick or treating a few years previously, but seeing the excitement in her eyes was just enough for her.

The kitchen was already bustling, her aunt and mother filling the space and going forward with their typical morning routine.

"Lex! I picked up some of the really good coffee at the store — here," Aunt Iris announced, handing her a warm thermos full of the caffeinated liquid. Lexie accepted it gratefully with a smile and thanked her.