ch 21 - past

{ ———————— indicates POV change}

The Past

"Ahhh, mommy it hurts." I cry out holding my sore hand up to my mom. She could make it feel better.

"Oh sweetie, what did you do?" Mom cooed in concern.

"Nothing! I was doing nothing, then my hand was hurting!" I held my now-red hand up to my mom.

"Are you sure you were doing nothing?"

"Yes, I was watching TV and doing nothing."

A warm smile lit her face. Why was she smiling? I was hurt.

"Well then, you didn't hurt yourself," She explained like I didn't already know this, "your soulmate did."

I didn't know too much about soulmates at the time. We actually started learning about it in school. I didn't quite understand what they were trying to tell us. A destined person? An unseen connection? Sharing pain and hurt?

"Why is my soulmate hurting me? Does my soulmate not like me?" I asked, very confused.

"No, no. Your soulmate probably hurt themselves, and because you two are connected, it hurt you as well." She explained to me.

"I don't get it."

"Don't worry you will soon." She assured me with her warm smile, "How about this, let's write to your soulmate. When you write on your skin, it will show up on your soulmate's skin too."

"Really!? Ok!" I ran to my room for a marker, "What should I say?" I ask running back to my mom with a marker in hand.

"Whatever you want."

I pull off the cap of the marker and bring the tip of the marker to my skin.

Though I was young, I had a vague comprehension of the significance of the action I was going to take. I was going to change my life. I was never going to be alone again. Letting this person know of our new found connection was an action that was to leave a big outcome, a big change, a big difference that could never be undone.

My heart picked up pace as I moved the marker across my skin, letting my existence be known. I pulled the marker away to look at my mark. Three simple lines making up a smiley face on the back of my left hand.

I watch my skin, waiting. Will they draw something back? A few moments and they did.

Hi

"Mommy, mommy look!" I held up the writing on my hand for her to see. "My soulmate wrote back!"

"Really? How exciting!"

"Mommy do you have a soulmate?"

"Yes I do, everyone does."

"Where are they?" I question, not knowing the depth and weight of what I just asked.

"I don't know, "She answered in a sad voice, "not a lot of people get to meet their soulmates."

"Why?"

She sat me down and tried her best to explain to me about the limitations on communication between soulmates. How some information could not be passed on. I had so many questions, there was often not an answer. All this was just to be accepted as is. There weren't explanations for everything.

"I'm gonna do it!" I declared, "I will find my soulmate! No matter what."

Later that day I wrote to my soulmate,

I am going to find you one day.

My says it's hard to find your soulmate

I'm still going to find you!