ch3 - colours

I didn't think it would work. They feel me, I know it. I don't stop moving my hand, I just let the tears run down my face. Wholeness fills me.

I felt them earlier, an emotion, an apology. I didn't want them to feel that way. They did nothing wrong. I want to be there for them, it was so hard not being there physically.

I felt something. A hand. One in mine. I gasp opening my eyes. There's nothing there. Just the feeling of their hand on mine. Palm to palm, fingers to fingers. Their fingers where longer than mine, the palm bigger too. Their entire hand taking over mine. Texture of their calluses and the heat from their hand. The tears run faster. Joy fill me. An uncontainable smile takes over my lips. Are they smiling too?

I close my eyes again just enjoying the impossible feeling. Sleep quickly finds me.

My eyes snap open. Morning light filling my room. Memories of last night flood back to me. I see my hand reached out. Cold and empty. I trace the palm of my hand with the other. But that's all I was doing. No one else was there.

What the heck was that?

The writing appears on my right arm in messy letters.

The nurse said my fingers didn't need to be taped today, as I had no internal injuries, she just bandaged up the scab where the tear was. I was able to use my right hand again, but it looks like my soulmate can't.

I pick out a pen from my pencil case in front of me. On my left arm I reply,

I don't know

That was crazy. I want -

The last two words where quickly scribbled out. But I knew exactly what they wanted to say.

Me too.

Is you hand better now? You're writing on your left arm.

Ya, it's doing better for me. How about you?

It's ok, I need to give it a few more days. 

I glance up to see if I've been caught and notice the teacher glaring at me. 

I've been caught, I hesitated be for I add, Talk to you later?

Before get a reply I quickly get back to work, trying to ignore my jittery heart. 

The bell rings dismissing us for lunch. I head to the washroom to clean off my messy arm. I wash off my left arm and see that my right arm is clean now too. Except for sure written across my wrist. Looks like I'll be hearing from them later.

"Your hand is looking better." Mai comments as I sit across from her with my lunch.

"Yes, I should be able to paint again today. I've got a new piece idea too!" I enthusiastically tell her. I glance out the window, I begin to see white flakes drift from the sky. "The weather is getting a lot colder now." 

"Yay! I love the snow so much! Sure it might be cold and wet but it's so pretty!" Mai stares out the class room window with eyes of awe. I look to my wrist seeing the sure still on my wrist. I wish I could ask if it was snowing for them too, but that would give away location. I spend the rest of my lunch tuning out Mai's endless rating. I couldn't get last night out of my head, they where all I was thinking of.

The last bell rings sooner than I expected. With anticipation to start my paining, I leave the room as quick as a bullet. As I head to the clubroom and idea dawned on me. I take a route to the clubroom where I pass the girls volleyball gym. I take a quick peak inside. I didn't spot any of them with badly bandaged up fingers, just the normal support tape. I run the rest of the way to the clubroom.

I found a used, but unwanted, canvas in the storage. I roll on white paint over the old unfinished painting. While waiting for it to dry I print off multiple reference photos that will help me properly create my idea. I take notes on the reference photos and do a few quick sketch ups. Colours. Colours are next. I have a vague idea of the colours I want. I take out the acrylic paints and start blending and mixing them in just the right proportions. I test a few colours on the back of my hand. I do this out of habit and because my hand is closer to me than the paper where I should be testing my colours is. When I die, it will be because of poisoning due to the ink and paint that gets all over me. I mix some peaches, purples and blues. I'm still uncertain, but I'll worry about it later. I just want to fill my canvas. I grab my pencil and start lightly sketching on the dry white canvas, using my reference material to guide my vision.

I have a good feeling about this piece.