ch10 - art

"So, do you paint?" Koganegawa asks, sitting across from me. I just let out an audible sigh as I glance down at my paint littered hands. They're always good at starting unwanted small talk.  

"No," I bluntly reply. Taking a bite of my supper I try to avoid farther conversation. Koganegawa, didn't take the hint. 

"Oh, so does your soulmate paint?" He questions. I simply hum in agreement as I take another bite. Attempting to show my disinterest in the idle small talk, he doesn't seem to notice. He opens his mouth to continue his questions, but is quickly interrupted as the coach makes some announcement explaining to see him when we are done eating about our accommodations. I take this as an opportunity to take one last bite of food and then quickly leave the table to go put my dishes away. 

I approach the coach and he gives me a paper with where we are staying and instructions on how to get there in this maze of a school. Feeling quite exhausted from the non stop training, I was more than ready to go lay down for a bit. 

I hurry my way out of the cafeteria and focus on the instructions on getting to the room. I successfully make it there, almost getting lost a few times. I am very ready to rest. I go to get my clothes and get changed, but I notice something. 

"Ah, I forgot." 

I quickly realize that I had forgot my bag in the cafeteria. I was in such a hurry to leave. It should still be open, if I hurry back. I head out of the room as others begin to spill in. Navigating the dim halls I head back towards the cafeteria with the instructions in hand. The strong white light leaks out of the windows of the cafeteria doors and into the dim hall. It's still open. Just before I enter the room, I freeze in my tracks. The light spilling out of the door lights up my surroundings enough for me to see something out of the corner of my eye that made my heart stop.

Hanging in a glass display case, next to the cafeteria, was a painting. Everything about it was so familiar, like I've seen it everyday for the past month, but this was the first time I've ever seen this painting. The first thing I noticed was a particular colour of blue. There was no mistake, it certainly was that colour of blue. The one my soulmate had made. The second thing that confirmed my theory of who made this paining was of what is was. 

Two hands. One hand in a (skin tone) and another hand, painted in blues, as an illusion of being see-through like a ghost or as something that isn't really there. The see-through hand rests on top of the other. Palm to palm, fingers to fingers. The top hand's fingers where longer than the other's, the palm bigger too. The entire hand taking over the smaller one. It was a painting, from the point of view of my soulmate, of what happened that night. 

"It's not fate. There's not such thing. Just coincidence."

My own cursed words payed in my head. Before I could agree with my past self. I noticed a small detail that made me forget all my doubtful thoughts. A small, fine, detail. A scar in-between the pinky and ring finger. Both hands had it.

I look to my own hand, in the same spot was a scar that I never noticed. It was identical to the one in the painting in front of me. I scan the corners of the painting for a name, signature, anything. I do find a signature in the bottom right corner of the art piece, but it was indecipherable. Come on, I was so close! 

The light from the cafeteria is turned off. The panting is still as brilliant in the dim lighting of the halls. I turn from the painting and see Goshiki exit the cafeteria with a bag in hand. 

"Oh, that's-"

"Is this your bag Tsukishima?"He says holding out the bag.

"Yes it is, thank you." I say taking the bag from him. 

"Ooo, that's a new one." He comments as his attention goes to the painting I was examining moments before. 

"Do you know who made it?" I ask hopefully, also turning my attention back to the art.

"Hm," He looks closer at the piece, "I recognize the signature, but I don't know the student that made it. I don't know any of the students in the art club. This student has had other art pieces up around the school before. I always admire their work. Why do you want to know?"

"Just curious." I quickly answer and then make my leave before anymore questions that I don't want to answer could be asked. In the end, Goshiki did give me two important pieces of information. That the art was make by a student, and not bough from some department store for decoration and that the art was made by someone in the art club. So that narrows things down. I could just ask where the art clubroom was and-- No, I can't do that. Just barge into the art club as some stranger announcing that one of them was his soulmate. That's just stupid. Why does this have to be so difficult?  

I reached the room I was staying in. Pulling out a more comfortable change of clothes out of the bag I had just retrieved, I get changed and lay on the bed. My mind goes straight to the revelation that had just been made moments before. I can't seem to think of anything else. They are here. At this school, that I am visiting only for a few more days. I couldn't help but to feel excited and restless.This is stupid. Why am I getting so excited about this, it's not like I've found them. This school was so big. What were the chances I'll actually find them? 

Dispite all the negative thoughts, it wasn't enough to bring my hopes down.