Chapter 19

The next morning she awoke in her bed, alone. The morning sun poured through the open window, and she inhaled the fresh air brought in by a light breeze. She sat up and spied a piece of parchment on the nightstand. It was a note, written in elegant but masculine script.

You were asleep when I arrived. I couldn't bear to wake you. We'll speak tonight. Erik.

"Speak," she whispered to herself. It was an intriguing thought. She had never met a man who had shown the slightest interest in speaking to her, except her brother. If anything, they spoke to her chest. Or, they began blathering on about how beautiful she was and didn't listen to a word she said. Ironically, she had done nothing but speak with Erik since she'd met him. Although she was sure he had seen her, his insistence that she not see him had made conversation a necessity between them.

It was a good sign, she thought as she got out of bed and padded her way across the soft ornate rug toward the bathing room. Her parents had the most beautiful, lush palace, but she'd never seen anything like this room. Water flowed from pipes into a large tub, small basin and even a bowl for relieving herself that washed everything away into pipes. She could wash and bathe and do whatever she had to do in the warmth and safety of the palace. No wonder the servants were so attentive, some of life's most unpleasant tasks were unnecessary in Erik's palace.

After completing her morning grooming routine, with slight, logical adjustments based on the presence of warm water, Psyche opened what she assumed was her closet to find a selection of lush, perfectly sewn dresses. Most of them were too elaborate to be comfortable, but she found a plain robe-like dress made of blue silk that tied in back with ribbons. She put it on, amazed that it fit perfectly. She also pulled on her worn-in sandals and made her way to the kitchen.

Psyche was very curious where the servants had hidden themselves. Someone had built a fire in her room. Someone had seen to it that the bathroom was filled with perfumes and soaps to her liking - more than to her liking, they were quite more fragrant and effective than anything she had ever used before.

And someone had prepared a variety of fruit, bread, and yogurt for her breakfast. The meal was laid out on the wooden table in the kitchen, and she sat down and began to eat as she looked out of the expansive window.

The kitchen overlooked the back garden, with its mix of greenery and exotic flowers - most of which Psyche had never seen before. Like the stars of the previous night, Psyche had a sense she was far further from her home than she could comprehend.

Nevertheless, she enjoyed her breakfast, particularly the sweet and cold juice. She also found a carafe of hot coffee and a pitcher of cream. She poured herself a mug and began exploring the palace further.

She marveled at the enormous main room that was too cavernous for her taste, preferring instead the cozy, nearby library with its fireplace and shelves of leather-bound books that reached all the way to the ceiling. On that ceiling, a very fine artist had painted a mural that depicted the gods of Olympus in all their glory.

Later, she gasped when she found a mirrored ballroom with six crystal chandeliers and wooden floors. She inspected all the instruments, from easily recognizable harps and pipes to string and keyboard instruments she had never seen before. She tested a few of the instruments, making some rather unpleasant sounds before moving to the next door.

There, she found another large mirrored room with wooden floors and bars, guessing it was for exercise. Weights, discus, and other apparatuses were stacked on racks in one corner. She preferred to exercise outside, but this room would be very convenient on rainy days.

On the second floor, she found several smaller bedrooms and even - to her surprise - a nursery room designed for an infant. She swallowed nervously as she ran her fingers across the fine wooden cradle, realizing she would very likely be the mother of the next infant who slept there.

Most amazing, however, was the room on a floor higher than the bedrooms, reachable through a narrow staircase. It was an observatory, complete with antechamber, and a big wooden desk, a worktable and an observatory with a grand brass telescope. She immediately examined a planet that was still visible in the morning sky, assuming it was Mars. It wasn't. Through the telescope, she saw a green, gaseous planet that was unfamiliar to her. The thought excited her, but there were no books or charts in the room to tell her what she was seeing. She decided she would return in the evening when the stars were visible so she could orient herself. For the first time since her arrival, she found herself longing for home. Nikolas would have loved this Observatory, which far outshined the one where he spent so many hours.

Nikolas. She missed him. She hoped that once she had settled in, Erik would allow Nikolas to visit, or conversely, allow her to visit Nikolas. She missed her parents as well, but not like she missed her brother. Strangely, she also realized she missed Eugenia and Euphemia. She didn't like them, never had, but they had been a constant presence in her life. For better or worse, she was aware of their absence.

After she returned to the first floor of the palace, she realized she had no chores, no official studies and no company. At first, this thought made her uncomfortable but as the reality of it set it, she smiled to herself. Her entire life had been filled with the social obligations and responsibilities of being a Princess. She had only ever had time to pursue her studies and interests outside of that. She now was free to spend her days doing what she liked.

"Freedom, horrible freedom!" she declared with a laugh as she ran to the library.

"I suppose if I want to hear a voice, I must talk to myself," she said when she arrived at the library. 

She looked around at all the books, overwhelmed but happy. At least she wouldn't be that bored. Lonely, perhaps, but not bored. 

"Enjoying yourself?" came Erik's voice. 

"Yes," she said. "This place is beautiful. Confusing but beautiful." 

"How so?" 

"Where are the servants?" she asked.

"They are around," replied Erik, "They just don't wish to bother you. If you need something, write it down on parchment and leave the note in the kitchen. It will be done if it can be done."

"Thanks," said Psyche, feeling peculiar. She had grown up as a princess well-aware of the privileges of her class, but the lifestyle Erik offered her was beyond her imagination. And not necessarily in a good way. She could imagine a person becoming bored or complacent with all their needs met and no real responsibilities.

"As much as I enjoy talking to you," she said, "It would be nice to have some company."

"I don't want your siblings here, not until you've adjusted to your new lot in life. But, if you want company, I shall see to it that you get excellent company."

Psyche thought she heard a playfulness in his voice, and she was suddenly very curious as to how he was going to keep that particular promise.