Chapter 47

Psyche dressed, not in the draped gowns of the goddesses, but in a simple Atlantean gown. In doing this, she wanted to pay homage to her homeland, and show all the gods of Olympus that she was not ashamed of being born immortal. Far from it, she was proud and held her head high.

Before walking into the great chamber, she found herself face to face with Aphrodite. She looked the goddess straight in the eye, without fear. Even though she herself was not yet a goddess, Psyche knew that Aphrodite could no longer threaten her.

"What can I do for you, Aphrodite, my mother," said Psyche.

Psyche saw a hint of annoyance in the equity with which Psyche spoke to her, but she quickly hid it.

"As much as it pains me to admit it," replied the Goddess of Love, "You showed over and over your devotion to my son. Despite a few missteps, you were clever and brave, and I believe you love him."

Psyche blinked. It may have been a begrudging apology, but it was an apology nonetheless. As difficult as it was to wrap her still-mortal brain around the concept, Psyche knew she know had an eternity in which to resolve things with her mother-in-law.

She didn't care much for Aphrodite's esteem, given all the trouble she had caused, but Erik loved her. Despite everything, she knew that. Plus, the two of them needed to work together. So, in the interest of harmony, it was logical for Psyche to make peace. Besides, despite Aphrodite's ambivalence toward her daughter-in-law, Psyche had an instinct that she would be a doting grandmother.

"I thank you for that," replied Psyche carefully, "and I am sorry that I ever betrayed Eros's trust or was foolish enough to fall for your infernal sleep trick. I shall work toward bettering myself for Erik and the child's sake."

Aphrodite smiled at that. "On that we can agree, that Erik deserves a wife who will work to make herself worthy of him."

At that moment, the choir of Olympus began singing an Atlantean wedding march, and Psyche experienced a pang of loneliness. It was Atlantean tradition that a father walk his daughter to her betrothed. Psyche objected to the idea that her father somehow owned her and had a right to give her to anyone. As far as she was concerned, only she had the right to give her heart, her body and mind to Eros - which she did freely and fully. Yet, the absence of her father reminded her that she was far from home. The aisles leading to the grand altar where the ceremony was to be performed was lined with immortals of all stripes. High gods like Ares and Athena and Demeter sat in golden thrones. Titans stood in the back, tall and grand in their ancient bodies. Nymphs, sprites, fairies, genies and all sorts of strange spirits lined the aisles.

Psyche sighed. When in Eros's presence, Olympus felt like her home. Without him, she still felt like an alien, which she was. She wondered if, once she ate the ambrosia, if she would feel differently, and if she did, if it would fundamentally change who she was.

She knew it was illogical to resist change. Immortal or mortal, life was about change and progress and evolution, but her love for Erik was so pure and so potent, she feared that any change in herself might somehow alter it. Even if it were made better somehow, she resisted the idea.

And yet, she was lonely.

Suddenly, the loneliness dissipated just a bit. She turned around, expecting to see Erik, but instead she saw Nikolas standing there. She broke in to a broad grin and ran into his arms. He clutched her tightly, and she clutched him back - laughing with delight. She had missed him so much.

"Psyche," he breathed, "I'm so glad you survived your ordeals. . . I wish I would have been there. I wish I could have helped."

She broke their embrace so she could look into his green eyes, so very like her own, which were filling with tears.

"You did help," she replied, "More times than you could possibly know. Things you taught me to save my life fore than once. . . and Erik told me that you spoke on my behalf. Thank you, my brother. Thank you."

He grinned at her. Then, the questions began to form in her mind. "How did you get here?" she asked, turning instinctively to Aphrodite, who shrugged.

"Don't ask me," said the goddess, "I had nothing to do with it."

"Eros sent me an invitation through his friend Hermes," said Nikolas, "I accepted and they sent the Zephyr for me. It was quite a ride."

The name of her ex-lover piqued Aphrodite's interest, and to Psyche's dismay, she also appeared to notice that Nikolas was quite handsome, as his sisters were beautiful.

"You'll have to tell me how you enjoyed it all," said the goddess of love.

Nikolas raised an eyebrow and looked at his sister, smiling. Negotiating the complexities of in-law relationships was a difficult task for mortals, it would be doubly complex in the immortal world - something Nikolas seemed to realize. His politeness indicated as much, since Psyche suspected that had he had his way, he would have told the woman off.

"I shall tell you in as much detail as you like" replied Nikolas smoothly as he held his arm out to his sister, "but first I must walk my sister down the aisle and watch her become both a wife and an immortal."

With that, Psyche and Nikolas walked carefully down the aisle. Psyche felt all the eyes of Olympus on her person, but in truth the only gaze that was of interest to her was Erik's. He stood on the dais, next to Zeus who held a gilded cup the no doubt contained the ambrosia.

She walked with serenity, and she beamed with pride when Nikolas nodded politely at both Zeus and Erik as she stepped toward her husband. Eros smiled and took her hands as they stood before Zeus.

Zeus took a deep, bellowing breath and began to speak of how glorious it was to welcome a new goddess for such a joyous reason. He asked them to pledge eternal love to one another, which they did.

The next phase of the ceremony required Psyche and Eros to exchange rings. She was delighted to see that the rings Erik had brought were the same ones he had removed from their fingers the night of his rage. He smiled when he saw that this pleased her.

The feeling of the band around her finger filled with contentment.

"And now you are man and wife."

At this point in an Atlantean ceremony, she would have kissed Eros but Eros, who was normally not shy about kissing her for any reason, made no move to kiss her. Instead, Zeus handed her the cup of ambrosia.

"Now, Psyche, drink so you may truly love Eros forever."

She took the cup and lifted it to her lips. The liquid inside tasted beautiful, like nothing she had ever experience. It filled her heart with peace and joy. Physically, however, she felt no different.

She looked at Eros then at Zeus.

"It is done, my dear," said Zeus.

Eros smiled, and then he pulled her into a kiss. She melted into him, knowing he drank the ambrosia from her lips. 

THE END