Chapter 40

Hermes had placed Nikolas down in front of Eros, and bid him farewell. Nikolas hadn't even had time to thank him for all he had told him about Psyche and for bringing him here. The god had merely winked and transported himself away. 

Nikolas took a deep breath. He knew that Eros could kill him with a flick of his finger. He could also probably come up with a fate worse than death. All of that was true, but it didn't matter. His sister's honor was at stake, as was the honor of her child. 

He spied the god, standing in the garden, looking at a rose. He was distracted. 

"Here goes nothing," thought Nikolas. 

Nikolas strode over to his brother-in-law and before the God knew what was coming, landed a sucker punch on his strong jaw. Eros was far stronger than the mortal, but to his surprise, he was knocked off his feet onto the ground.

"You have struck a God! What mortal would dare?"

"Your brother-in-law," spat Nikolas, "and I don't care if you smite me or curse me or whatever. You had that coming. Psyche is currently on her way into hell on an errand for your Mama - she's probably not coming back. She's doing this to win you back, but as far as I'm concerned, you don't deserve her."

Eros rubbed his jaw. "I gave her everything. A palace. Servants. A library. Pets. I loved her, well. And she didn't trust me."

Nikolas shook her head.

"She's a mortal, you bastard. She's not perfect. All she did was give in to her curiosity and fear, because sometimes humans do that. Especially when they are manipulated and our sisters are...were master manipulators, surely she told you that."

Nikolas reached out a hand, and the God took it. Nikolas helped him to his feet. Nikolas was tall and well-formed, but he still felt intimated standing next to a God, who was taller and better-formed. The guy positively glowed. Moreover, his sister had managed to fall in love with him without ever seeing him - thinking he was a monster of some kind. As much as Nikolas wanted to hate him, he knew Psyche was no dummy. There must be something to this guy.

"She should have trusted in me," replied Eros.

"Would you like to know how Eugenia managed to finally convince her? She suggested you might be monster enough to harm the child when it's born. It wasn't for her own vanity or fear that Psyche betrayed you, it was for the safety of your child."

Eros's eyes widened. He stood up.

"There's a child?"

Nikolas's mouth dropped open. Obviously, Gods didn't know everything about everything, did they?

"Yes," replied Nikolas simply, noticing that Eros's already pale skin suddenly looked a good deal paler than it had.

Eros approached him, no longer looking like a pouting, heart-broken youth but rather like a god. An angry one at that.

"Does my mother know?" whispered Eros.

Nikolas resisted the urge to turn away his gaze. For the first time, he felt fear of Eros. He also suddenly felt fear for Aphrodite, whom he knew to be very powerful. But he had a sense that the goddess of love didn't know what she was up against.

"She does," said Nikolas, knowing that speaking those words meant the Aphrodite would probably be pissed off at him forever. She might even strike him down.

Eros nodded. "Psyche's in the underworld now?"

Nikolas nodded. "She's enlisted some help, but I'm worried. Your mother said she'd help her get you back if she went and fetched some of Persephone's beauty for her."

Eros shut his eyes. "Not even in Hades would Persephone ever give up any of her beauty. It's a trick of some kind."

Nikolas felt his knees weaken. Psyche did not deserve to die. He made his way to a chair and sat down.

"You've got to save her," said Nikolas, "I can't save her. I'd die trying. She's your wife. It's your child. You've got to do it."

Eros stepped over to him and clasped him on the shoulder. "I know, brother, I know."

"You've also got to forgive her. Her weakness was the child. That's got to be worth something to you."

Eros nodded. "I've already forgiven her. Now I must find her."

"Good luck, brother," said Nikolas.

"I never thought I could call a mortal brother," said Eros as he jumped to the window, "but when this is over, I will grant you the love of whomever you choose."

Nikolas half-smiled at that. It was a generous offer. He might even take Eros upon it. "I think I'd like to earn someone's love."

Eros smiled. "I only create the spark of love. Once there, it's up to you to be worthy of it. You always have to earn it."

Nikolas almost spoke a reply but Eros was gone.

"Good luck," he said softly, knowing Eros could not hear it.