Chapter 45

One month later, Aphrodite stormed into Zeus's palace, where she found him on his throne.  A nymph sat across his lap, feeding him grapes.

"You know, if it weren't for me, she wouldn't be here," said Aphrodite.

Zeus sighed, but he didn't look at Aphrodite. He said nothing. He let the nymph continue to feed him grapes, and they laughed and whispered to each other.

Aphrodite waited, glared, and used all her powers of self-preservation to not march up the stairs of the dais, pull the nymph out of his lap and demand his attention.

As angry as she was, she knew better than that.

Finally, Zeus put the nymph on her feet and smacked her on the behind. She laughed and darted behind the throne and through the door.

"I'll join you shortly, darling," shouted Zeus, before he turned to Aphrodite.

"What now?" he asked.

Aphrodite spat venom. She told him of Psyche and the trials. She told him of Eros rescuing her from the infernal sleep. She told him of Hermes breaking up with her.

"Why is this any of my business?" asked Zeus.

Aphrodite sputtered with rage.

"It's. . .it's your business to see that I am happy. . .she is a mortal. I deserve a better daughter-in-law."

Zeus strode down the steps of the dais and stood very close to Aphrodite, practically nose to nose. She swallowed in fear.

"No, Aphrodite, you deserve a far worse daughter-in-law. It's just that your son happens to have exceptional taste in wives."

His words shocked Aphrodite into silence.

"In fact," said Zeus, "Eros has asked that I make Psyche immortal so that he will never suffer the pain of losing her again. I should thank you. Had she not suffered the many trials you put her through with such great courage, intelligence and bravery, my decision would have been much, much harder."

For the first time in as long as she could remember, Aphrodite was shocked. She had no words of response.

"There's more," said Zeus who stepped back, a sly grin on his gruff face, "I'm making her a goddess, not just an immortal. As your son is the god of passion, she will be the goddess of reason. He will rule the body, she will rule the mind. Together, they will provide balance to the love that can make human lives so chaotic.

"I don't know what to say," whispered Aphrodite, who understood she had been beaten.

"You can start by asking Psyche's forgiveness and welcoming her to our pantheon."

Aphrodite blinked, and Zeus started up his steps again.

"If you don't make peace with her," said Zeus, "It's going to be a long eternity for you. She, on the other hand, will be fine."

Aphrodite felt the rage drain from her body. She had lived for many centuries, and one thing she knew was that grace in defeat had its rewards.

"I'll do that," she said, "You'll be amazed."

Zeus looked over his shoulders and grinned as he headed into his private chamber, "Honey, I'm always amazed at you. Love is, after all, amazing."