iv. the ice queen

IT HAD BEEN TWO WEEKS since their encounter and Lily had not seen a trace of the brunette. During their meals, the redhead had looked around, hoping to see a glimpse of the girl but sadly she was nowhere to be found.

Of course, she had not mentioned this to her friends as she knew they were both going to pester her for details. She loved her friends, she did, but they liked to meddle in her nonexistent love life.

Not that this had anything to do with her love life. It wasn't like she actually harboured feelings.

However, she wouldn't deny her interest in the mysterious Ravenclaw. Lily thinks anyone would be intrigued by the brunette.

The redhead sighed out for the fifth time in an hour, not going unnoticed by her blonde friend. Marlene had noticed her friend's behavior for the past few weeks and had felt a twinge of annoyance as she had no idea why her friend was... well she didn't have the right word for it, but it was frustrating to watch.

So with a huff, Marlene closed her book with a loud thud, startling Lily from her thoughts. The redhead looked up at her friend with a frown, wondering why she had done that. "I wasn't done reading that, Marls."

The said girl rolled her eyes, crossing her arms across her chest. "Yeah well, comething is clearly bothering you. So spill. What has your pretty little head occupied?"

Lily sighed and stood up from her seat, packing her school supplies back into her bag as she promptly ignored her friend's interrogation. The blonde groaned in frustration at the redhead before following her friend out of the library.

The redhead could feel the blonde's stare at the side of her head, could feel the intensity of it.

"Nothing, Marls. I'm perfectly fine."

"No you're not. You've been distracted by something these past few weeks, now spill."

Well she couldn't get out of Marlene's interrogative look now could she?

And so she told her everything. From the accidental encounter with the brunette in Diagon Alley to their odd encounter at the hallway. All the while, Marlene's face morphed into suprise to confusion to excitement and lastly, to suspicion.

"So you're saying, you've encountered this brunette 3 times within a month and still don't know her name? Lily Evans, how have you not asked her?!"

"Well it's not that easy is it? She always leaves as soon as I'm about to utter a word to her, let alone question her on why she had pulled me away from that toe-rag and his little group of troublemakers."

Marlene pondered the thought, stopping mid-step as Lily continued to walk, not noticing that her friend had halted in her steps.

The redhead sighed into the autumn air, looking up to the sky with a thoughtful look as she remembered the way the Ravenclaw Prefect looked at her. The brunette's gaze was intense yet gentle, calculating yet calm. She had never seen someone as collected as her and it had only intensified her curiousity of the brunette's identity.

Platinum blonde hair caught Marlene's eyes as she and Lily made their way to the Quidditch Pitch. A scowl made it was onto the blonde's face as she glared towards the Slytherin girl, not going unnoticed by the eyes of her redhead companion.

"Marls what's wrong? Is it cold? I've told you a dozen of times to wear more appropriate-"

"Quiet Lily! The snake is there." Following where Marlene's finger was pointed, the red-haired girl saw the Slytheirn girl, or Slytherin Princess as countless of Hogwarts students have called her. The platinum blonde girl was strolling along the path, a smug grin on her face and a spark to her eyes that screamed trouble to Lily.