House fire and Shots fired

"Look how dark it is" Chloe said as she lead Ben up the stairs to their room. She grabbed his hand and opened the door, she went to step in but she saw a man rummaging through their stuff, "hey!" She shouted in anger as she hid ben behind her leg. The man jumped and pulled a gun out at them, she froze as a bullet came flying at her. She buckled her knee as the bullet made impact to her lower leg, she fell to her knees but stayed knelt up so she could hide Ben behind her back as he cried. The man panicked and dropped the gun, he grabbed out his lighter and ignited the flame before dropping it to the floor purposely and running out.

As the man ran out of the door the couch that was in the middle of the room engulfed in flames, Chloe let out a cry of pain since her leg was bleeding out. They were already part way in the room but the fire was spreading quickly, she went to turn around and leave with Ben but the draft of the fire had slammed all of the doors shut, they were trapped. She slides her initiative and looked around the smoke filled room, Ben was crying loudly and she held him tight. It was getting harder and harder to breath but she spotted a metal filing cabinet in the corner, she crawled her way over while picking up her brother and covering his mouth to stop the smoke inhalation getting worse. She made it to the corner and she pulled Ben under it with her, she could feel her leggings being drenched with blood but she stayed strong since Ben needed her.

It was a slow shift at the district before detective jay halstead's radio sounded, "shots fired at 17-32 west ave, immediate response requested" the dispatch caller muffled. Jay looked around at everyone as they all got up and grabbed their jackets, he responded, "this is 50-21 Henry, intelligence unit responding" he said before running down the stairs with the rest of the unit.

It was also a slow shift at firehouse 51 too before their long break was interrupted, "ambo 61, squad 3, engine 81. House and structure fire at 17-32 west ave" sounded over the intercom. "It's a big one!" Hermann shouted to them all as they all ran up to the rigs and geared up. They all hopped into the trucks and sounded their sirens before speeding out of the firehouse.

The intelligence unit arrived on scene first but there were 4 buildings engulfed in flames, an abandoned scrappy house, a mini coffee shop and two modern day houses. They stood back and swept the area for any signs of an active shooter but just like suspected, they had fled. About a minute later and the firehouse rolled up, "what've we got?" Severide shouted to Voight as they jumped out of the rigs. "Shots fired from the abandoned building but by the looks of it they've escaped" hank sighed. Severide nodded, "alright squad 3 we've got no other choice but to put out the origin, get the hose onto the house now!" He shouted. They all done as they were told and Casey instructed his men. "Engine 81, primary search on the end two houses, let's go!" He shouted as he put his helmet on.

"What if there's victims inside?" Jay said as joe got in place with a hose, Boden looked at him. "By the looks of this house it's empty but if there's is, they'll be lucky if they survive..." he sighed in his raspy voice. Jay nodded and the team all watched the firefighters cracking on with their jobs. "Houses are cleared chief!" Casey shouted to boden while putting some victims down by the ambulance.

Casey walked over to boden and stood by as the group of first responders then watched squad 3 hose down the abandoned building, they were just hoping there wasn't anyone inside because once the water spread through the house it would scold anything in reach. "Fires out chief!" Severide shouted while scanning the area for any other lit flames. Boden turned to hank, "alright a few of your men can go in with Severide" he said positively. Hank nodded, "jay, hailey, Kevin" he signalled for them to go in. The three followed Severide as they trampled through the building. "Fire department, call out!" Kelly shouted through the house. There was silence other than the hissing of hot objects, they made their way up the stairs carefully, "fire department, call out!" Kelly shouted again as he kicked down the door to the upstairs room.

"Looks empty" hailey said to the rest of them. They all went to leave until jay spotted a child's arm sticking out from a metal cabinet in the corner, "no it's not, over there" he said while battling his way through the rubble. Severide leapt in and moved the hot cabinet with his hands since he had gloves on, he lifted it up and threw it away before turning his attention the what was underneath it. "Oh my god" Kevin said as they stood staring at two kids for a second. "You grab the girl" severide said to jay as he picked up the younger boy. Jay nodded and picked up the girl, he held her as she went limp in his arms. Kevin and hailey ran out of the house and cleared a path for the two carrying the kids. There were three ambos, one treating the walking wounded and two spare so jay took the girl to one and severide took the boy to one. They placed them both on gurneys and let the paramedics do their work. "We gotta get her to med" Brett said while bagging her. The same happened with severides victim.

The team watched the ambulance's speed off with lights and sirens blaring and flashing. "Show me what we're working with" hank said to jay as he walked into the building that had been cleared. Jay nodded and lead him upstairs, "the kids were under the filing cabinet in the corner, that's all we we got to" he sighed. "Alright look around" hank said supportively. Jay nodded and looked around just like hailey did since she joined them, "gun, lighter!" She shouted slightly. Jay and hank stepped either side of her and looked to where she was shining her flash light, "so this was an arson" jay sighed. Hank nodded and lead his two detectives outside.