Chapter 25: Hello, Dad

The halls of the Parliament Building were quiet. The building, old and beautiful and built to last, was left over from the days of the Empire; the stone had been quarried from the planet's second moon, long since stripped of anything usable. The click of boot heels against the smooth floor echoed around the arched ceilings as Amy and Captain Ashdown walked down the corridor. Their escort's footsteps were conspicuous in their silence; Parliamentary Guardsmen were famous for serving their duty in stockinged feet.

"How long has it been since you last saw your father?" Ashdown asked.

Amy glanced sideways at him. "I can't remember," she lied.

"And your brother?"

"You had two days to interrogate me on the Dominia, Captain. Isn't this a bit behind the times?"

He looked startled. "You may have forgotten, Annieka, but your father and I were good friends throughout your childhood. I watched you and Cam grow up, and you both remain dear to me. Frankly, the behavior I've seen you display troubles me. I—"

"Oh, save the semblance of parental concern," she said sharply. "I don't need it."

He inclined his head. "As you wish. But, Annieka—I encourage you to remember that although you may desire to distance yourself from those who wish to help you now, there may come a time in the future when you will need assistance. Running from your friends does not mean you have rid yourself of us," he said quietly. "We will still be here if you want or need us."

Amy looked away.

The Guardsman stopped before a tall set of double doors, the solid wood gleaming as though recently polished. He waited silently while Ashdown and Amy finished their conversation, and then swiped his ident. The door swung open.

"The Secretary is expecting you, Ms. Brenner."

Ashdown gazed down at Amy, brow furrowed with concern. "I leave you here, Annieka. Please remember what I said. And give my regards to your father."

"I doubt we'll be doing much in the way of exchanging regards, but sure," she said, and followed the Guardsman into the Hall of Tributaries.

"Annieka Brenner, sir," the Guardsman announced, and then withdrew. The doors closed silently behind him.

The Hall of Tributaries took its name from the token flags that still hung from the ceiling, one for each planet that had constituted the Empire. They stretched into the distance, marching towards the far wall, which had once boasted a map displaying the reach of the Empire and now displayed the flags of the central Commissioner planets. The windows on the left-hand side overlooked the main courtyard; in the summer, when the old plate-glass was opened, the scents of the flowers wafted upwards. The smell of the city didn't penetrate this far into the building complex, although the hum of transports was inescapable.

Amy glanced around and suppressed a sigh. Typical. The hall was empty, which didn't surprise her in the slightest; her father had always liked to keep people on their toes. He might be expecting her, but that certainly didn't mean he would be waiting for her. And he could be informed of her arrival just as easily sitting in an office on the other side of the building as he could standing in front of the Guardsman who'd announced her. The Hall of Tributaries was meant to intimidate, but she'd been here before, and in any case her father knew by now that that particular tactic wouldn't work on her.

Noticing a window was unseasonably open, she crossed to it and leaned out to look at the courtyard.

"I'm particularly fond of the daisies," said a familiar voice behind her.

She smiled slightly. "The irony is appreciated." The last time she'd seen her father, she'd thrown a bunch of daisies at his head. She turned around.