That Game We Call High School(18)

Chapter Eighteen

Think Before Your Speak

*****************************

Everyone always tell you to 'think before you speak'. But, then, what if our personality's not to think before we speak, what if we want to let our opinion out; being loud and proud about it? From day one our parents have told us to always be ourselves and tell the truth. But, thinking before we speak.. That changes everything. That changes us. And, when our parents tell us to do that, they're changing us. They're going against what they've said from day one.

~*~

(Liam's POV)

"Thank you." She whispered at me with a faint smile before she drifted off to sleep once more.

The scene in the biology lab had been practically terrifying. Just seeing her fall, the blade cutting her palm and leg.. Blood was dripping onto the white, tile floor. And that jerk, Danny, didn't even bother to help her. That little.. No, Liam. I reminded myself. Stay strong for Khloe. Remember, prove yourself.

It had taken everything in my power and ability to ask her to be my girlfriend. I had never done anything like that. Ever. I used to only think of Khloe as a loser. I'm not going to be a liar and say I didn't, that I've always had some kind of secret crush on her. No, that would be stupid of me, and would only hurt her more if she found out otherwise.

My phone began vibrating, cutting my thoughts short. I looked around to make sure no was close enough to hear me, then I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and answered it. "Liam, you have a job tonight." His sly voice cut through the phone, making my inside squirm.

"Not even a 'hello'?" I tried to joke, though the only thing I really wanted to do was get out. Get out of this stupid deal that my idiot of a father had gotten me into. He was a poor excuse for a man. Yet, everyone in the group looked up to him, as if he was actually worth something.

There wasn't even a slight chuckle on the other line. "You're not getting out of this, Mathers." He warned. I gulped, nodding until I remembered he couldn't see me. "Be at the warehouse at six o'clock sharp, or else." With that, the line went dead. Just like I would if I didn't show up.

I began muttered 'six o'clock' to myself, making sure I remembered it. If I didn't.. Khloe might not have me as a friend anymore, if you know what I mean.

I looked at the time on my phone; 2:30 PM. Khloe had been out for a long time, but I refused to leave her side. Just to see if she's okay. No, I'm not going to admit my love or whatever to her like in those freaking cliché as crap novels. I don't quite love her.. Yet.

"Would you mind waking Ms. Main?" Nurse Janet asked as she walked through the door. I nodded, shaking Khloe's shoulder while whispering her name again and again. Finally, I said her name a bit louder.

"Caramel!" She yelped, jumping up slightly. I placed my hand over my mouth to stifle my laugh. Gosh, this girl is flipping funny! After a couple of minutes, she allowed her eyes to flutter open, and relaxed once more. "Oh, hey Liam. What's up?" She asked in barely a whisper. Her head must be still hurting.

"Just sitting here, waiting for you to wake up." I responded in the same tone of voice. A small smile crept up upon her lips, her eyes only half-way opened. "Don't go to sleep yet. It's almost time to go home."

She licked her chapped lips, but didn't succeed. Quickly, I grabbed her a small carton of orange juice and handed it to her. "Thanks." She said gratefully when she chugged the whole carton down. After she put the carton down, she looked around for a second, furrowing her eyebrows together. When her eyes landed on me, she asked, "Where's Danny?"