ONE.FIVE

-

BEFORE OPAL WAS MADE TO MOVE TO LONDON SHE made sure to stay in small heath for the grand re-opening of the garrison

BEFORE OPAL WAS MADE TO MOVE TO LONDON SHE made sure to stay in small heath for the grand re-opening of the garrison. she waited in the betting shop for ada and karl to arrive since she had agreed to meeting them before hand as the brunette was going to london with the mother and son the next day. she sat in front of the fire watching the wood turn to burnt embers as she heard the door open and ada's voice following quickly after.

"opal are you ready?" she called from the door getting a loud 'yes' in return, she quickly grabbed her jacket and purse from the table to met ada and karl outside. with a bright smile, excited for the night she linked arms with ada and walked down the busy street of small heath towards the garrison.

she pushed open the doors letting ada and karl enter first before following quickly behind. opal stood next to young mother, looking round watching the rowdy loud crowd enjoying themselves. opal was quick to notice polly who was standing at the bar laughing loudly with a man before noticing her niece and opal, she made her way over to them with a large smile on her face. "ada, i didn't know you were coming," she exclaimed pulling her niece into a tight hug before moving onto to opal. "i'm going to go find john," opal said moving away from the door once she once she noticed tommy was getting closer.

opal and tommy had hardly spoken after meeting alfie solomons at his bakery and opal being made to move to london while tommy took care of business. the pair had many falling outs as they grew up together but it didn't take long for them to put their differences aside and get on with it. this matter however was different since opal was going to be living in a completely new city without any of the shelby family.

as she walked past, she gave tommy a tight lipped smile before pulling out a seat next to john and finn. "i'll be having that," she spoke taking the glass of whiskey out of finn's hand and quickly glupping the burning alcohol in one. john laughed loudly while finn scowled at the older woman. "one day i'll let you keep it," she smiled patting the young shelby on the shoulder.

the night went on to the small hours of the morning, opal had drank a significant amount of whiskey which was not intended but felt was needed as she was leaving small heath for a period of time and didn't know when should would be back. john and arthur made sure to help celebrate with her which meant opal being dragged by a very drunk arthur to the dance floor every now and then.

-

a slightly hungover opal made her way down the streets of london towards her new home that tommy had bought for her which was apparently close to solomons bakery. she sighed holding the keys tightly in her hand reading the numbers on the side of the buildings to find her own. "fancy seeing you here," a familiarly loud voice echoed from down the street, opal scanned the street full of people until she noticed the jewish gang leader standing tall with a big dog at his side.

"never did get your name when we met," he said while she laughed under her breath walking the few steps over to meet him, "it's opal," she said getting a hum and a nod in return "lovely name that is, so what you doing in london then?" alfie asked once she had stood in front of him. "that would be my dear friend tommy," she had a tight lipped smile holding up the set of keys to him, he hummed taking the keys out of her hand to have a look. "he's just full of fucking surprises ain't he?" alfie chuckled shaking his head before handing the keys back to her. opal nodded before turning her attention to the large dog next to alfie. "well aren't you a handsome boy," she mused scratching behind his ears lovingly getting a tail wag in return, "what's his name?"

"cyril," alfie answered watching the brunette pat the hound lovingly. "how long you staying then?" he asked once she stood back up from kneeling in front of the dog. "i'm not too sure, tommy didn't really give me any specifics," opal shrugged. she was surprised at how calm alfie was but she knew it was probably because he wasn't being provoked by a peaky blinder but was more surprised at how easy it was to talk to him. "sneaky fucker... well why don't i walk you down to your place," he offered his arm nodding down the street.

with a small smile she nodded, wrapped her arm around his and let him lead. the pair fell in sync quite quickly however, opal began to notice the looks certain strangers gave them but she didn't want to ruin the current conversation they were having. she laughed loudly at the story he told her when he pointed out certain places in camden town, "sounds like you were quite mischievous as a child," she remarked back.

"fuck sake, when tommy said i would be close to your bakery i didn't realise it would be a ten minute walk," she joked recognising the street her and tommy had walked down a few days ago when they first visited. "probably tryin' to keep ya far away from that sabini," he grumbled as she walked up the stairs towards her front door. she shifted on her feet at the name, the bruise had just about faded away but could still be seen in certain lights. "who is cunt by the way, should never hit a woman," alfie pointed at her, opal looked down for a moment before meeting his intense gaze and nodding slightly.

she unlocked her door before turning back round to alfie. "thank you for the walk alfie, maybe i can get the real grand tour sometime," she said with a sly smile. it was his turn to laugh breathlessly "of course, wouldn't want you getting lost now would we?" he teased, opal threw her head back with a small laugh. "goodbye alfie," she mused standing at her door about to close it, "goodbye opal," he called back just as she shut the door leaving her alone in her new home.

opal took out a cigarette and quickly lighted it, a small smile on her face as she recalled her first day in camden town with the man who runs it.