⁽ ¹⁹ ⁾ "𝐸𝑣𝑜𝑙𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛"

A/N: Hello, readers! Welcome to another chapter! Enjoy!

edited on march 7th, 2021 @ 11:28am

════ ∘◦ᵒ 𓅓 ᵒ◦∘ ════

CHAPTER NINETEEN - EVOLUTION

ATSUSHI WATCHED WITH HIS TEAM as Kageyama jogs back onto the court after getting swapped back in and replacing Sugawara for the game. Atsushi noticed Kageyama looked as if he was having trouble saying something, which made Atsushi raise an eyebrow in confusion.

Kageyama gave the team a version of his smile. Hinata was the first to react as he backs away with fear. "What are you thinking?! You won't get your way!" Hinata stated as he was getting far.

"Hinata, you're running too far away!" Tanaka exclaimed.

"Shoyo, I don't think that's a scheming face... I think he's actually smiling, maybe..." Nishinoya added. Atsushi rolled his eyes at the second-year.

"Don't say "maybe" Nishinoya!" Asahi panicked as well as scolded his friend as Kageyama looked irked at Hinata.

"Hinata, I'll kill you!"

Atsushi glanced at Daichi who looked as though he was a proud father, making the brunette deadpan at him. "Why do I have a bunch of idiots for teammates?" Atsushi thought, unsure of what to think of his teammates right now.

Soon, Kageyama gets the volleyball to serve for the game. Atsushi noticed Hinata walk over to him and started having a conversation, but he couldn't hear what they were discussing about.

Atsushi saw Kageyama raise a fist to Hinata, but he knew that fist meant something else, knowing it was actually a hand signal that Sugawara gave to the first years to learn.

On the sidelines, Sugawara and the others watch as the game is about to begin, with Aoba Johsai's cheering squad from the stands was all that was heard so far. Sugawara then sighs tiredly, gaining the others attention.

"Don't look so amazed. I was pretty nervous." Sugawara smiled at Yamaguchi, who was the one who had a look of surprise at Sugawara letting out a sigh of relief.

"Really?"

"Of course, there were third-years that played at last year's Inter-High, so I wasn't able to play in a lot of official matches."

Sugawara smiled. "I hate to say it, but it's likely that Kageyama's had his feet on the court more than I have." He said. The others didn't reply right away.

"Despite that, Kageyama was freaking out quite a bit." Tsukishima informed, making Sugawara and Yamaguchi look over at the tall blonde. "Speaking of, the King's going right into a serve. Do you think he'll be alright?"

They all followed his line of vision to see Kageyama holding a volleyball, as he was about to serve, but Kageyama was smiling as he held the volleyball.

"Kageyama looks pretty happy." Sugawara noted.

"Yeah." Yamaguchi agreed as they stare at the first-year setter on the court.

"It sort of puts me at ease." Sugawara smiled.

"What does?" Yamaguchi asked in confusion.

"Apparently every player feels the same pride about the fact that they're going to be on the court. No matter if they're some genius or just a regular guy." Sugawara explained.

They focus back onto the court, and Sugawara couldn't help but frown when he noticed Atsushi. "If anything, I'm more worried about Atsushi." He spoke as the others were taken aback as they glanced at the brunette, who looked high on alert.