Chapter Four

S3E4: The Sauna Test

The three were now at Max's house, her stepdad out on a work trip and her mom already asleep from a long day at work. The two girls sat on the bed, leaving Jace to sit on the floor, reading one of Max's 'Wonder Woman' comics.

Jace then looked up at the two, realizing that El still seemed unsure about the whole situation and how Billy seemed completely fine.

"Hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Jace reassured the girl, looking up at her with a weak smile.

"It doesn't make sense." El muttered, her brows furrowed together now.

"What doesn't make sense?" Max asked, scooting in closer so all three of them could talk.

"Heather, the blood, the ice." El said, turning so she was now facing the two of them.

"Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now." Jace said, closing the comic and climbing up on the bed beside Max.

"I don't know where that blood came from, but... we saw her. We all saw her, she's totally fine El." Max reassured her, placing a hand on the girls shoulder.

"What about Billy?" El asked, looking over at the two with her eyebrows raised.

"What about him?" Jace asked, raising a brow towards her. To him he seemed fine, just rather on his best behavior considering he was around adults.

"He seemed wrong."

"Wrong is kind of like his default." Max started to say, "but it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked." she said with a small giggle.

El's chuckled lightly, her eyes falling onto the small comic in Jace's hands, "Who... is that?" she asked.

Jace chuckled lightly, "See, this is why you can't just hang out with Mike all the time. There are plenty of other super hero's other than Superman and Wolverine. This is Wonder Woman." Jace said, handing over the comic to her.

As Eleven examined it, Max got under the covers with El, opening the book with her as Jace sat at the end of the bed.

"AKA Princess Diana." Max started to say, "Shes from Paradise Island, which is, like, this hidden island where there are only women Amazon warriors."

Morning had struck once again, Jace found himself sleeping on the floor in his hoodie, his arms wrapped around Max's blanket that he was given. However, the boy was soon awoken from his radio crackling, a deeper voice coming from it.

"Do you copy? This is a code red. I repeat, this is a code red. Jace. Do you copy? This is a code red."

It was Lucas.

Jace leaned over with a groan, picking up the radio, "Shut up! We're trying to sleep dude. Go on and mess around with someone else." Jace groaned, pushing the antenna down so there was no more connection. The boy let out a sigh before laying back down on his pillow, about to fall back asleep when-

RING RING

"You've got to be joking." Jace muttered as he walked up to the phone, pulling it off the holder.

"I'm sleeping, go away-"

"This is Mike. Do not hang up."

Jace's brows furrowed, his mouth opened to say something when Mike cut him off again, "Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake." he whispered into the phone.

"Mike, what the hell are you talking about?" Jace questioned.

"Just come over to my house with Max and El. We'll explain everything." Mike said, the line cutting off.