Chapter Eight

Avengers P.O.V

The Avengers had gathered together outside the cell when the blinding white light swallowed Nova and Loki, leaving them unable to see anything, all of them worrying for Nova's safety. After what seemed like hours, the light faded and they could see the two staring at each other, haunted expressions on their faces. The team was speechless, unable to process what had just happened, until Loki used his magic.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?" Thor boomed, shaking the room like thunder as Nova dropped to the floor in a dead faint. Loki immediately held up both his hands.

"Do not use this damn collar and let me explain." He commanded quietly, looking at each of the Avengers in their now furious and shocked faces; Natasha looked about ready to break into the cell and tear his head right off. "I found out quite a lot of information from your little mortal. I saw everything she experienced." He paused for a moment, looking down at Nova as she lay on the floor lifeless, before continuing. "And now that I have put her in a deep sleep you have a chance to see what they implanted in her neck." The anger in the room then turned to confusion, and Steve stepped toward the glass.

"What do you mean implanted?" He asked. "How didn't we find this out sooner?"

"We couldn't get any good quality scans," Bruce muttered, rubbing his temples and trying to stay calm. "We couldn't get anywhere near her without her frying the equipment... What exactly did you see?"

"They cut her open, placed a device inside her, and it gave her the seizures." Loki stated simply. "They injected her with a substance and it stopped them. The device seemed to be made of metal. I assume it was a way of making sure she didn't run away, and that if she did, she'd not survive without them." He looked away and examined his nails with a sigh, infuriating Tony.

"Is that all you got?" He asked angrily. "You said you saw everything!" Loki slowly turned his head to face him, an eyebrow raised.

"Ah I did, but you see; you told me that you wanted to know what is wrong with her. And I found that information, and told you. You didn't ask for anything else, so that's my job done." He finished with a mischievous smile. Tony all but growled, infuriated by the lack of information given, turning away and beginning to pace.

"Enough with your silver tongue Loki!" Thor grumbled angrily.

"The only thing keeping you safe right now is that cell wall." Natasha spoke calmly, but her eyes were flashing fire. "I'd think about what we could do if we used that collar if I were you." At that Loki's smile faded, and this time he decided not to respond because to him, she didn't look like she was bluffing.

"FRIDAY!" Tony had suddenly stopped pacing and yelled into the room, causing everyone to jump in surprise.

"How can I help you, sir?" Came FRIDAY's disembodied voice.

"Have a medical room prepped as soon as possible," Tony directed, now glaring at Loki directly. "We now have a mystery operation to perform."

"Of course, sir, I'll contact the medical team right away." Came Friday's reply. Clint, who had remained silent but observant, was the first to notice Bruce's rising stress and anger and escorted him outside, as he was struggling to keep his cool; Natasha decided after a moment to run after them to help, feeling that she had unsettled Loki enough to leave them for a little while. Steve stood with his arms crossed, quietly contemplating the whole situation, highly aware that nothing to do with Hydra is ever simple and worrying that Nova's condition was no different. His thoughts were interrupted as Tony unexpectedly walked to the cell door and typed in the code to enter, before striding right up to Loki, causing him to stagger backward slightly in surprise. Tony jabbed a finger at his chest angrily.