Chapter Fifteen

Avengers P.O.V

The team had entered the building after setting the Quinjet down on the landing pad of the tower and were looking forward to a chance to properly think about their recent mission and come up with a new plan, but something caught Clint's eye on one of the screens showing the many security camera angles inside, causing him to stop dead in his tracks and watch.

"Wait, is that... Nova shouting at Barnes?" At those words the rest of the team had their eyes trained on the screen; Steve especially watching intently. Just then the camera seemed to shake as Nova glared at Bucky, his demeanor changing completely as their eyes met and he slammed her against the wall by her throat. Steve immediately jumped into action and sprinted through the doors closely followed by Natasha; but they left before they were able to see Bucky let go of Nova, backing away from her. Tony watched closely as Nova grabbed his wrist and held his hand, looking to be talking to him calmly.

"Am I seeing things or did Sparks just make him lose control, then give it back to him again?" Tony asked, and Clint shrugged, just as confused as he was.

"Something like that," He muttered as they watched Steve storm into frame, and wordlessly left to follow them.

"BUCKY!" Steve yelled as he reached them, but he and Nat stopped short at the sight of an extremely regretful looking Bucky with his hand in a tired looking Nova's. "What- But I saw- You weren't yourself-"

"It was my fault Steve," Nova interrupted his sputtering, quick to defend Bucky in case anyone became angry with him. "I lost my temper and something happened, I made him angry too, but he didn't hurt me and I didn't mean to do it, and he's ok now-"

"Nobody got badly hurt, that's the main thing." Natasha spoke calmly, noting the red mark around Nova's throat. "Steve, why don't you and Bucky take a walk, some fresh air and a talk to clear your minds would be good, right?" She glared pointedly at Steve, and it took him a moment but he snapped out of his confusion and cleared his throat.

"Yeah, come on Buck," Steve started walking and Bucky automatically fell in step beside him, disappearing round a corner leaving a tense silence behind them.

"Well that was dramatic," Tony stated calmly, standing with Clint as they had watched that confusion unfold. "I think there's too much stress going on here, you know, too much tension. I might just have the perfect solution-"

"No Tony," Nat interjected, knowing where he was going with this.

"-I think I should host a big party-"

"No"

"-It'll be great, music and dancing and lots of alcohol-"

"Do you think that's really what Nova needs right now?" Nat interjected and after a long pause he responded;

"Yes."

"Tony!" She hissed, exasperated.

"Are you okay Creep?" Clint asked gently, noting that Nova still hadn't moved and was staring in the direction that Steve and Bucky went. She blinked then turned to face them, her violet eyes still wide with concern.

"Yeah- yeah I'm fine, I just... I'm tired, it's been a long day." She exhaled, her whole body emanating exhaustion as she held her hand lightly against her throat; truthfully she was shaken up, but she did not want to cause any more fuss so she kept her emotions hidden as best as she could, finding herself relieved when no more questions were asked.

Bucky, on the other hand, found himself unable to process what had happened, and after talking to Steve and musing over the situation he still found himself uncertain. The moment he had met Nova's eyes, it was like an anger flowed between the two of them, like some form of energy; enough to make him lose control. Similarly, he felt the fear that she felt when he had his hand around her throat, as though she was somehow making him feel that way, snapping him back to reality. Bucky had seen what this girl could do, he'd watched from afar the destruction she was capable of during Bruce's tests- and yet she hadn't used anything against him when she was in danger of being choked to death. From that moment on, Nova played on his mind more often than he cared to admit.