Chapter 16: Breaking Ties

Thank you so much for being paitent! I've had an incredibly busy couple of months. I apologize for another late upload, but if you're sticking with me, then I hope you enjoy this chapter! x

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 16: Breaking Ties

Three Days Later...

            I kept one hand on the wheel, while the other danced in the wind – it dangled languidly out the driver's window and took the pleasant brunt of the summer wind. City music filled the speakers and my ears, reminding me of the hope I hold on to – a hope to experience a more accepting world, outside this small town. And though I am physically alone in this very moment, I can say that I no longer feel the hindering cling of isolation in my heart. That has come to pass, along with the darkness that once ruled my life.

            As I drove through the main strip of town, I decided to lower the music and fully take-in all that was to see of the place I'd resented for so many years. Mom&Pop storefronts, singular gas station, local café and diner – I could've sworn these buildings were taller throughout the years. However, today, they seemed small to me – insignificant... in the most satisfying way. The minuscule things, places, and people that used to frighten me just dissipated before my eyes.

            The square building at the edge of the town was where I was set to go – it was covered in sand-coloured brick and labeled with a cringe-worthy large white sign.

            Bellemount Police Station.

            I sighed and hopped out of the bed of my truck, closing the drivers door with my back and giving myself a moment to prepare myself for one last hurtle. I breathed once, closed my eyes, and then felt the brush of a gust of wind kiss my cheek.

            My eyelids flew open and I smiled, seeing him emerge from the forest's edge just outside the boundaries of the station.

            Hi, I mouthed once Max walked across the parking lot.

            "How was the drive?" Max asked, stepping in front of me. He and I didn't touch, but I could immediately feel the air between us crackle with unnerving tension. As if he could read my thoughts, Max smiled and reached out to brush the back of my hand. I clutched onto his fingertips to reciprocate the gesture.

            "Fine," I responded automatically. Max gazed at me unblinkingly, being perceptive as usual. I corrected myself. "Easy," I sighed softly, stepping forward to wrap my arms around him. Max's arms encircled my waist, holding me cuddly in his embrace.

            "I missed you – it's been too long," Max mumbled, pressing his lips to the top of my head. I laughed into the crook of his arm.

            "It's only been two days," I reminded him coyly. Though I was teasing him, the days were long for me too – too long.