Chapter 12: The Unforeseen

I had so much fun writing this chapter and so, I hope you like it! If you're an action junkie, this one's for you :)

Comments are my favourite things in the world so please, give me some feedback below! :) x And of course, as always, votes are highly appreciated! :D 

Cheers x

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 12: The Unforeseen

            I struggled in the darkness to free myself from the bed sheets as Max sprung from the bed and began walking quietly to the bedroom door. Thankfully I had managed to catch up to him in his instinctive hunt.

            “What are the chances that you’ll stay right here?” Max turned, his eyes and body tense with apprehension.

            I stared at him for a moment, not exactly having a concrete answer.

            Was I terrified to face another foreign wolf? Yes. However, was I willing to let that fear allow me to watch Max potentially become endangered? No.

            “I’m coming with you,” I stated boldly. Max looked torn for a second before he shook his head and gripped his hand in mine. I knew he disapproved of my reply, yet I was thankful that he chose not to fight with me.

            Together he and I made our way quietly through the shadowy farmhouse – our bodies tense and minds alert in the late hours of the night.

            Before I knew it or could prepare for the upcoming altercation, Max and I were outside and in the back lot of the farmhouse.

            “Stay behind me,” Max stated firmly, pulling me close to his side and edging toward the back end of the barn. I watched Max stop and take a deep breath – his nostrils flaring slightly as the wind blew across our faces. “It’s… my pack,” Max breathed wholly. Almost as if on cue, I watched as light reflecting eyes began appearing in the distance and shadowy, animalistic figures race across the field with blinding speed.

            They were headed straight toward us.

            “Max,” I choked, gripping onto his forearm as the speedy figures approached with noticeable aggression.

            We were too caught up in the scene before us to pay any attention to the figures approaching from all sides; suddenly, without fully coming to grips with the situation, Max and I were surrounded. Though, they did not stop to simply idly stare at Max and I with burning curiosity.

             In their pursuit, they did not stop for a moment.

            No.

            I screamed instinctively as arms wrapped around my torso, yanking me fully away from Max and into an iron, painful grip. It was as if in slow motion that I watched Max whip toward me, half-pounce to liberate me from the sudden assault, before hands were suddenly on top of him. A forearm snaked around my neck, cutting off the mindless screams ripping through my throat.