Chapter 5: Heart

Thank you very much for reading and following Ribbon! :)

Soundtrack & Sidebar Photos are on the side! 

Cheers x

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 5: Heart

            A gracious and effortless smile spread across my lips as I stretched out languidly on my comfortable country bed. The bright morning’s sunlight held the promise of a beautiful, summer day. With one last simple stretch, I pulled myself up and swung my small legs around to slide happily up into a standing position. Unexpectedly, the moment I stood, the sound a loud bustling engine immediately caught my attention. Feeling quite curious, due to the early hour, I walked swiftly over toward my slightly ajar window.

            I couldn’t stop the small laugh of adoration from slipping through my lips as I gazed down at the field and realized that my Granddad was already up and ready, tending to the days chores. Also someone in particular, who was seemingly taking a look at the tractors engine, caught my eye. A grand smile spread across my lips as I peered down at Max looking ever so charming in my Dad’s old t-shirt and jeans.

            Before I could possibly fall into a shameless, long-term gaze, I heard my Gran call me downstairs. With one small stretch of my limbs, I sighed and turned away from the window to get dressed.

* * *

            My Gran busied around the kitchen as I sat at the kitchen table and cut fruit for breakfast. I wasn’t truly paying attention to my actions until I felt my Gran place a bowl of eggs on the table and brush back my unruly bedhead.

            “Are you alright?” She asked curiously, catching my attention. I blinked and looked up, momentarily getting caught up by the view of my Granddad and Max baling hay in the field. I guess I’d been noticeably staring for far too long since my Gran let out a light chuckle of amusement.

            “Max is quite the handsome young man,” she commented bluntly. Blush erupted across my cheeks as I swiftly tore my gaze away from the window and back down toward the fruit in front me. What in the world was going on? Never in all of my years have I developed such a blatant… interest in someone before. Not to say that I had ‘feelings’ for this Max character but… he was just so captivating. It was maddening allowing my teenage heart to chuck out every sensible thought and action I possessed. In fact, I had practically trained myself to stay indifferent and guarded from my emotions.

            However… my strong, fiery composure was now slowly disintegrating into ashes.

            “Don’t tell Granddad that,” I teased her gently, making a beeline for the easiest way out of this embarrassing conversation.

            My Gran smirked, shaking her head gently before patting my back. “Grace.”

            “Gran,” I retorted, smiling slightly at her retiring expression.