Chapter 8: Tethered

If you're a fan of romance, I think you'll like this chapter! But as always, I'm so glad you've continued to check out Ribbon! This story was a joy to write :) Plus, think of the sidebar song as the icing on the cake of this chapter! I'd love for you to read and listen to the song! 

Dedicated to @MaddieAvsec for her constant support!

xx

Cheers :)

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 8: Tethered

            It was almost midnight by the time I wrestled myself restlessly out of bed and quietly into the hallway. Before I could beat myself up for it, I found myself standing lamely outside of Max’s closed bedroom door. God, what the hell am I thinking? I suppressed a groan and ducked my head in shame. I couldn’t sleep – too pent up worrying about the past, present, and future. I just wanted some peace and somehow, Max has become a comforting buoy in the middle of my rough ocean of a life. All I needed was one more moment with him – a glance at those depthless green eyes to know that it’s possible to find light, even in the greatest of darkness.

            With a shaky breath, I raised my fists to knock gently on the door. However, centimeters away from the surface, I choked and dropped my hand lifelessly.

            The fear of being a burden to the ones I cared about struck a chord within me. With a heavy heart and a sense of loneliness beginning to weigh upon my shoulders, I slowly turned.

            “What are you up to?” Max’s whispered words jolt me to life and I jump despite the eerie calm washing over me. I stumbled back as I watched Max slowly climb up the last two stair steps to the second level. A coat of blush rushed to cover my cheeks as I noticed he had fetched a cup of water from the kitchen.

            “I-I…” I swallowed and bit down hard on my lower lip – of all of my interactions, this was by the far the most difficult to experience.

            “I couldn’t sleep either,” Max whispered again, speaking the words lodged into my brain. I looked up at him bravely and began walking backwards toward my door, trying to scrape up the fragments of my dignity.

            “Yea, I was just um… going to say goodnight – I didn’t say it after dinner so I didn’t want to be rude…” I babbled on as I picked up my feet and scrambled backwards.

            “Uh, Grace…” Max stepped forward and cringed.

Through my haze and embarrassment, I managed to back sharply into the frame of my door and knock the back of my head against the lock. I jumped all over again and reached up to rub the back of my head. No words could describe how utterly mortified I was in that moment.

“Ouch,” I mumbled pathetically as Max came over and gave me a sympathetic smile. As he stopped in front of me and realized my blush, I heard a soft laugh echo out from his lips. I was too struck by embarrassment and awe that I hardly had the chance to prepare myself for Max reaching over to gently run his fingertips over the sore spot behind my head.