Chapter Four

-Mabel-

  Late that night we are gathered at Eddie's for move night. I ended up picking a comedy movie I can't remember the name of. Okay, honestly Chris picked it. 

The microwave beeping breaks my train of thought. I reach up to grab a bowl and pop open the microwave door. As I'm attempting to pour it into the large bowl, Buck walks through the door with a pizza box in his hands. He's wearing a blue hoodie and a pair of dark grey sweatpants. I can't deny he looks good. I wish I could dress down like that and still look flawless. I shake my head and chuckle at my thoughts.

The pizza box plops on the table, and Buck looks at me with a befuddled expression. I shake my head trying to dismiss how crazy I must seem right now. 

"What are you thinking about?" He questions.

When he speaks I spill the popcorn onto the counter. While focusing on cleaning it I absentmindedly reply, "Your pants." 

As soon as the words come out of my mouth I realize how it sounds. I curse under my breath and physically cringe. Why are you so damn stupid? 

"My... my pants? What about them? Is there a stain?" He worries, spinning around while attempting to look at his own butt. 

"No, I don't think so." I say, trying to think of a reply that won't give away my actual thoughts.

"They just look.... warm." 

"Uh, they are actually. Thanks for noticing?" He says confused. He takes this as his time to exit and slips out of the kitchen doorway.

My hands grip the edges of the counter, spread wide, as I tuck my chin into my chest and take a deep breath.

Embarrassing, sis. You just met him and now he thinks you're a total weirdo.

I stack some paper plates and napkins on top of the pizza box with the bowl resting on top of the plates and carry it to the coffee table. Chris lets out a cheer as I open the box and hand him a slice. The boys grab their own food and start to inhale it. I plant my butt on the carpet and turn towards the tv. The cheesy opening scene starts to play and I find myself already zoning out.

"Mae, what are you doing?" Eddie asks.

"What, nothing. I don't think?"

"Come sit on the couch. There's plenty of room up here. I know that floor can't be comfortable." 

My knees crack as I stand and move towards the couch. Eddie scoots Chris closer to him, opening up a spot between him and Buck. Chris moves back over towards me and drapes part of his blanket across my lap. I smile at the thoughtfulness and try to focus back on the movie. I tuck my feet under myself, knees pointing away from Buck who is sitting against the arm of the couch farthest to the tv. 

Chris seems to be the only one laughing after about fifteen minutes. Eddie and I share a look that conveys what we're both thinking.

This movie sucks. Bad. 

I take my chance about an hour in to get away for a moment. I stand up to grab a water from the fridge. I ask if anyone needs anything, but Eddie is passed out and Chris just shakes his head while fully engrossed in the screen. Buck stands up and follows behind me. I try my best to step quietly and not wake Eddie. The bottle cracks as I twist the lid, and bring it up to my lips. 

"So, uh where are you from, And how do you know Eddie?" He inquires, his eye squinting when he speaks.

"I'm from El Paso. Eddie and I grew up a few streets over from each other. We've been friends since we were teenagers." I answer while moving to take a seat next to him at the table. His bright blue eyes seem to shine from the minimal light flooding in from the hallway.