Chapter Seven

-Mabel-

  I've never been a natural clean freak. It always takes an effort from me to keep my things organized. I've been sorting through the things inside my desk for the past half hour. This is about the third time I have done this since I got this desk two weeks ago. I finish up by putting paper clips and tacks into the organizer I recently bought. That is what I am doing when Chimney walks up and begins picking at the leaves on my new plant. I have the urge to swat him, but it dissipates when he speaks. 

"Are you busy tonight? Buck and I are going to the karaoke bar after work if you want to join." He invites, finally giving my poor plant a break. He glances up and gives me a half-smile while waiting for my answer.

"Thanks, Chim, I'll think about it. Although, it sounds like quite the sausage fest." I say, smirking at the incredulous look that covers his face.

"Well, Don't tell Buck, But Maddie is going to be there. We're leaving as soon as Buck is done with his beauty routine." This causes a genuine laugh to fall from my lips.

"Okay, That was actually funny."

"I'm a funny guy!" He exclaims.

"Really, when?" I pause as he gasps sarcastically. "Sure, I'm in."

"Well, I regret inviting you now." He jests.

******************************************************************************

When we finally get to the bar it looks different than I thought. It's more of a relaxed feel that I enjoy. I follow behind the pair of men as they make their way to a table near the bar. I take a seat next to Buck and Chim sits across from us. I talked the boys into taking me to the apartment so I could change, so I'm now wearing a black low-cut dress with small flowers dotting the fabric. Buck looks nice, as usual, dressed in a blue button-up and khaki pants. 

"The world looks so different now that I'm single again," Buck states, scanning his eyes around the bar. 

"Buck, you've been single for months," Chimney replies, almost exasperated.

"Yeah only circumstantially. I know Abby's been gone for a while, but in my head, we've been together this whole time. But now I'm out of her place-"

"And living on my couch." Chimney retorts while looking down at his phone. 

"Which I-I really appreciate."

"Wait you moved out of Abby's place? Good for you, Buck." I interject, looking over at him. 

"I'm happy to help, even though I initially thought you were just coming over to watch the game." 

Buck continues to talk about how he's scared to get back into dating for fear of returning to what he calls 'Buck 1.0'. He claims he wants to be 'single Buck 2.0'

I space out when he starts talking about the blonde across the bar who is aggressively licking the salted rim of her glass while her eyes are locked on Buck's body. 

"Say I go over there, right. I uh- make a joke, she smiles, we both laugh. Our- our shoulders touch, there's a moment. I lean in a little closer, she doesn't resist. One drink, two compliments later, we end up in bed together having totally meaningless sex." He explains, putting together a mental picture for Chimney.

"Yeah, that sounds awful," Chimney replies sarcastically.

"Just terrible, having women fall all over you like that." I join, feigning disgust. Well, half feigning. That ugly feeling of jealousy rearing its head once again.