Chapter Five (REUPLOAD)

Authors note- I totally messed up the order of episodes in this chapter. In my defense I was writing at 4am on a Monday, but I digress. This chapter is supposed to be in line with season 2 episode 7. I have gone back and fixed the inconsistencies in the storyline as best as I can. Sorry!

-Mabel-

After being in my new environment for a month now I've decided it's time to find a job. What I didn't anticipate, however, is how hard it is to find one. There are plenty of open job opportunities in LA, but they're all work that no one wants to do, or they want someone with ten years work experience by age 18. My hand absentmindedly runs through my hair once more, and I feel the frizz getting worse by the second.

"Still not having any luck?" Hen questions gently, knowing how crazy it has been making me.

I just shake my head and return my eyes to the laptop in front of me. 

"My only job experience from back home was when I worked as a receptionist at a vet clinic for a year. Man, I loved that job. Elijah made me quit eventually, told me a woman's place is at home." 

We both gave a collective sigh that silently said 'What a piece of shit.'

"You know, I might have an idea." Bobby spoke up from behind the kitchen island where he was making dinner.

"You could try working for LAFD? We have-" I giggle lightly and try to politely interrupt.

"I appreciate the offer Bobby, but I'm not a 'pull people away from danger' kind of girl. I cross the street if someone looks at me for too long." I say, earning a laugh from most of the group, half of them at the table, half on the sofa.

"I was going to say, We have a new position opening up. It has come to the chiefs attention that I suck at paperwork. Plus, someone has to be here when we go out on calls, and you seem to be here all of the time anyways. You'd be in charge of helping me with clerical work and answering phones mostly. The job is yours if you want it." He explains, waving his spatula in the air.

I don't respond right away, mulling it over in my head.

"Why, why are you offering me a job?" I decide to say.

"Well, I would prefer to have someone the team knows and can get along with. You also seem reliable and bright." He explains further.

Bobby has a way of speaking that makes you feel like he's a your proud father, even if he just met you.

"What are you waiting for, say yes!" Buck yells over his shoulder, his eyes focused in on the video game he's playing with Chim.

"Oh, of course! Thank you so much, Bobby!" 

"I'll have to clear it with the chief first of course, but I have a feeling that won't be a problem. Also, you can call me Cap. You know, since I'm your boss now." He jokes, gathering the food and bringing it towards the table. I stand and help him by grabbing a bowl of salad out of his hands. As everyone takes their seats I notice that one person is missing from the group.

"I'm going to find Eddie, be right back." I announce before bounding down the stairs towards the gym equipment. 

I find him taking hits at a punching bag, not even breaking a sweat, and still looking flawless doing it.

"Hey Ed, Dinner is ready." I smile, catching his attention at the sound of my voice. 

"Alright, I'll head back up with you. Hey how's the search going?" He asks, removing the gloves from his hands and putting them back where they belong.