Chapter Nineteen: The Cataras Springs

The garden of the Cataras Springs was the most beautiful wonder on Xyntriav at its time. Specks of gold light floated about the brightly-colored trees and bushes. Mossy vines draped the silverstone walls and bright, colorful bubbles served themselves as rocks beside the shimmering rivers and streams. The sweet smell of lotus, lilies, lilac, and lavender was so strong that the visitors could taste it. And though the Springs were located underground, there still seemed to be a light blue moonlight present to illuminate everything in this enclosure.

"Me eyes have never beheld such a sight," murmured Captain Tzatara.

"Aye," agreed Yacomé with his jaw dropped.

There was one visible waterfall right beside the entrance which poured into the same body of water through which Empress Renée had entered. However, once the empress noticed the additional visitors, she remained hidden in the illuminated pond.

The Mystery Miracle Worker went straight to business. She approached the labradorite fountain located in what could be considered the courtyard of this garden. It displayed every chalice needed to utilize the Springs, and Rein sat silent at the top. The Miracle Worker took hold of the sky-blue chalice and gave Rein a friendly wink before she began her search for the proper spring. This was destined to be a difficult task to say the least. The more valuable the spring, the harder it was to find, although the soothing sound of the trickling waters surrounded the visitors like a tease.

"What's she doing?" Yacomé asked.

"Never mind her," the captain replied. "Let's take care of our own business."

Captain Tzatara approached the fountain next, and he snatched up the black chalice before he proceeded to seek out his desired spring. Yacomé followed with the rest of the pirate troop and Rein watched them progress deeper into the garden. Then she removed the glove on her left hand. Relief flowed through her when she noticed the mark of her oath had vanished.

Once everyone was absent from the courtyard, Empress Renée emerged and approached Rein. She kept her gray cloak tight around her to hide her missing arm and then she studied the remaining chalices.

"Which one is mine?" she asked.

"I'm not going to tell you, Renée," Rein replied.

The empress glared at her. "You might as well tell me, I'm here now!"

"No. Trust me you don't want to have anything to do with these springs."

The empress ignored her and sought after the Mystery Miracle Worker with the hope she could gather more information from her. Rein rolled her eyes.

"Renée!" she called. "Let me explain! I'll tell you everything!"

But the empress ignored her and melted into water before Rein could fly after her.

"Renée, I'll tell you why. I'll tell you everything! Renée!"

ξ

The Mystery Miracle Worker searched carefully for the spring she needed, fully aware that they were obnoxiously easy to miss. All the while she still kept an eye out for Ravan, even though the door to the garden had disappeared along with the key. Listening for the springs was the least helpful method of discovery since they sounded like they were everywhere. So, she relied on her sight and felt around for water flowing down the trees and around the rocks.

"What knowledge have you on finding the spring, Miss?" Stephocra asked her as she felt along a tree.

"Very little," the Miracle Worker admitted. She moved on and searched between a cluster of rocks. "I'm assuming they're camouflaged."