7

Keppler knew the way home without a doubt in his heart. It was a much faster trip when his eyes weren’t glued to the ground looking for plants and he led them on with a new surge of determination, eager to get back and help his sister before it was too late. He’d succeeded let alone survived in this suicide mission he’d sent himself on, but he couldn’t have done it alone. 

Memories of being in the bottle came flooding back to him- it felt like such a long time ago, even though it was only yesterday. So much had happened since then, but nothing would have happened at all if Cory hadn’t been there to save him. 

He was grateful that he’d taken the time to return the favour and help the bigger mer out, and gain an ally in return. Cory’s assistance in protecting him while he’d searched for hours was invaluable, even if he came up empty handed. But more than an ally, he considered him a friend. Keppler couldn’t name a single other person that would willingly travel into something as scary as that abyss just for his sake. 

He looked behind him at the other, not surprised that they didn’t meet eyes. Ever since the incident in the crevasse Cory had been acting strange. While he was naturally a stoic and distant individual, it seemed to be enhanced lately. They hadn’t had much conversation in their journey so far, but there was still a little ways to go and Keppler couldn’t stand the silence much longer. The little tetra drifted a little closer, a million things running through his mind of what to say.

“Thank you..” He eventually blurted out, effectively gaining Cory’s attention.

“For everything. I wouldn’t have been able to save her without you.” Keppler continued. It was impossible to express the amount of gratitude he had for Cory’s help, and all of the words he wanted to say sat like a heavy weight in the bottom of his chest. 

Cory only nodded a hum in response.

“You’re still thinking about her..?” The brunet asked, brows furrowing.

Cory nodded, looking away.

An awkward moment of silence hung between them, with Keppler unsure of what to say. He understood completely the fear that Cory had felt in the grasp of the eel mer, but it seemed like that wasn’t the only thing that was bothering him. He bit his lip, unsure of how to help.

“..Why did she talk like that?” He asked instead, hoping that the shift in conversation would help.

“I don't think she gets many visitors.” Cory chuckled lightly. Keppler smiled in return.

He replayed everything that had happened, the events still fresh in his mind. He did get caught up on one thing though, and couldn’t help but ask with a bit of rising hope in his voice.

“Did you.. really tell her we were friends?”