Four

Regulus

The first of September always came as a relief. The holidays had been worse since Sirius had left and all he could think about over the summer was going back to school and away from his parents. There were times that he wished that he had gone with his older brother that night, however he always told himself that although running away had made Sirius's life better, it ultimately would have made his a living hell. Being labelled as a 'blood-traitor' would leave him as an outcast in Slytherin. Though he was sure Theo and Evan wouldn't go out of their way to stop being friends with him, being seen in public with him would lead to them being given the same title as him and he couldn't ask that of them. He had also told himself that had they both left, his parents would more than likely came after them, not because they cared for them, simply because the shame of having both your children leave would be too much for them. So he let Sirius go, not matter how much it hurt to watch him leave. 

As they walked through the station each of his parents had a hand on his shoulders, tightly gripping as though he would try and make a run for it. Which did sound quite tempting at this point. 

When they reached the platform, Walburga kept muttering stuff about "Muggles and Blood-traitors" under her breath. Wanting to get on the train as soon as possible he turned to face his parents.

"Goodbye Mother, father." They nodded in return and he took that as his cue to leave. Grabbing his trunk he climbed onto the train. Turning round he noticed that they had left, not that he expected them to stay. They never had before. Headed down the train and eventually found the compartment which his friends where sat in. Evan Rosier had his legs up on the seats beside him and Theo had his back pressed into the corner of the compartment beside the window. 

Regulus put his trunk on the rack before turning to face the two boys. "I have a prefect meeting, be back soon."

"Have fun golden boy!" Theo called out to him.

"Nice talking to you!" Evan added. Both boys laughing as Regulus flipped them off. 

He made his way to the front of the train, to the prefect compartment. He was the first one there, he didn't mind that, he could do with a moment by himself. He sat at one of the tables and rested his head in his hands. He sat, alone with his thoughts until a hand on his shoulder pulled him out of them. He looked up and saw Snape towering over him.

"You okay Black?" He asked, though judging by his tone of voice he probably couldn't have cared less.

"Yeah, fine."

He was glad when Severus didn't question him any further, just nodded and walked away, taking a seat of his own. Several people who he hadn't noticed entering were now sat in the compartment as well. He recognised Noah Carter the, in his opinion, rather conceited Gryffindor prefect for his year who was sat on a table diagonally across from him. The two Gryffindor prefects for the 5th years were also there, however none of the other Gryffindors were present. All of the Ravenclaws were there apart from Pandora Lestrange, who was in 7th year. All of the Hufflepuffs and Slytherins were there, waiting. The door to the compartment opened and the missing Gryffindors walked in. He heard Severus grumble under his breath as James Potter walked in, his head boy badge sat proudly on his jumper. Due to Lily Evans now being Head girl, a girl with short brown hair who he knew as Alice Fortescue had replaced her as prefect. Remus Lupin and Betsy walked in a little bit behind them along with Pandora Lestrange. Betsy laughed at something Pandora said before lifting herself to sit next to Noah Carter on the table, the two greeting each other quietly as Lily and James got the meeting started. 

He realised after a couple of minutes that he hadn't looked away and instead focused his attention to the front where the rota was now being explained. He found himself zoning out due to the fact that nothing they were talking about was new, or extremely exciting, just the same as last year, so once again he found himself lost in the depths of his thoughts.