Chapter 1

A bright fresh morning. How wonderful.

Sort of.

The alarm beeped mercilessly, as the sleeping figure groaned and rolled over.

Sophie's eyes slowly opened as she yawned, stretching her hand out and switching off the alarm. She quickly resumed her light snoring, but was awakened when her door was shoved open with a loud 'WHAM'.

She already knew what was going to happen. "Get up you lazy joke! Mum has been yelling for 10 minutes straight and it's getting very irritating," yelled the furious brother of hers. "5 more minutes..." hissed Sophie as she pulled the pillow over her head. "You do this every morning!" bellowed her brother. "Weekday morning," corrected Sophie quietly, only to get her pillow tugged off her head. "Shawn, please," she groaned as her brother pulled over off the bed.

She let out a tired yawn as she stumbled out of her room and into the living room, where the dining table was. Her father gave her a hard stare as she slumped onto her wooden chair. "We feed you and put a roof over you, not for you to just sleep in all day. You have school!" he scolded as she placed her head on her hands. "What does that have to do with my morning?" muttered Sophie softly. "My point is, I expect you to do well. It's a kill or be killed world," he continued, before rambling about politics to her brother.

Sophie grunted as she heard a 'thunk' sound. Her mother placed their breakfast on the table. Bread with milk and oats. Same as always.

Sophie felt her stomach rumble as she devoured the warm meal before her and grabbed her schoolbag. "Uh...bye," she mumbled before opening the door, instantly regretting her decision. It was so horribly bright, and not just because of the sun, but because of the girl standing outside her door.

"Sumedha what the heck?" she screamed in surprise as Sumedha bounced over to her. "We go to school together. Did you happen to forget?" she questioned as Sophie shook her head hesitantly. As her palpitating heart calmed down, she walked with the cheerful Sumedha to school.

School.

Usually a rather miserable place for students, except when they could hang out with their friends. The issue was that Sophie had only 2 close friends. Sumedha, a cheerful girl with a bubbly personality much loved by her classmates, and Hanlu, who was a friendly girl who always tried to remain calm but ended up being insane. She could only pray that their classes would eventually become the same.

Upon reaching school, Sumedha headed for her class while Sophie walked into her own classroom. It was a stuffy place, since the windows were barred ever since a student managed to break it with a baseball bat.

Sophie never cared. Her class was called Class Shine, which was nothing like the actual name. And the school had a strange tradition of placing a maximum of 9 students per class, stating that it was for 'good development'.

Sophie wondered why she was even surprised when she found out each class only had 9 students. This school didn't have good admission, which was why there were so little students.

Sophie didn't ever care though. She never found a reason for it.

She was feeling rather tired too.

"Sophie."

Sophie turned to look at her only friend in the class, Brayden. She had to admit she might just have the smallest of feelings for him. Just a small bit, hopefully. He was friendly and the only guy she spoke to other than the teachers.

"Everything alright?" he hummed softly and she shrugged. He just smiled at her before class began and ended. Everything went so fast.

"See you tomorrow?" he asked. "You mean during CCA. We have CCA today," she reminded him, rolling her eyes. Co-curricular activities. A miserable bunch of sports or clubs that teachers wanted the students to attend. It was only enjoyable if you truly had passion for the CCA you took.

Ancestors: The Other WorldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara