Chapter 4

The young girl focused her attention back down on her notebook, the thin page already filled with small charts and doodles of the different stars. She was trying her hardest to remain focused but the boy beside her made that task seem more daunting then it should have. With another deep sigh, she snuck a small glance over to him, unexpectedly catching his gaze. He smiled over at her a small chuckle leaving his lips when she flushed red, somehow making her (E/C) eyes pop even more.

There was something strange about the boy, but she couldn't quite figure out what. He wore a simple red flannel over a plain white t-shirt, his silver crutch leaning on the wall behind them. His light brown hair was swept to the side, his hazel eyes reminding her of fresh honey. She swore his smile spread across his face like butter, seemingly making her heart skip a beat.

When he held out his hand to her she wasn't sure why she decided to take it. She despised physical contact. When she did though, it wasn't like the other times. It was so gentle, and she could feel this incredible warmth spreading from her fingertips all the way up through her arm. His large, calloused hand seemed to fit perfectly with her smaller one, leaving her left to wonder what exactly it all meant.

"Hello? Anyone there?" A tender voice called out, "Star?" The girl blinked a few times, shaking herself out of her daydream. She looked to the side, instantly being met with those same honey colored eyes. She immediately blushed, mentally scolding herself for being caught in another foolish daydream.

The boy beside her chuckled lightly at her behavior, giving her another one of his goofy grins.

"The teacher assigned us a new project. We have until the end of the semester to create a model of the life cycle of the star, along with writing a research paper on each of the different constellations and their backgrounds." He explained. The girl's eyes immediately lit up, a large smile making it's way onto her face. His eyes widened slightly at her reaction, a look of curiosity making it's way onto his face.

"You must really like science, huh?" He questioned, resting his head up on his raised fist. The girl immediately nodded in return.

"I love astrology." She spoke, causing Crutchie to smile even wider. She pulled out her old notebook once more, hesitating for a brief second before opening it up and pointing to different parts of the pages, "I've been charting the stars for years."

"So that's how you got the name." He mumbled quietly, taking notice of her confused gaze, "Oh, I guess I should have told you sooner, I'm a newsie as well. Jack's been my best friend for years. He filled me in on everything that's been happening earlier today." He explained, rubbing his neck sheepishly.

The blush once again made it's way onto her face. She bit her lip in embarrassment, turning away slightly.

"Hey, no need to be embarrassed, we all have bad days. I'm not really one for meeting new people myself." He stated, that same smile still resting on his face. She wondered how someone could possibly smile that much, his joyus look never wavering.

"Oh!" He exclaimed suddenly, Do you mind if I see your schedule?" She slowly shook her head no, shooting him a curious look before pulling the small sheet of paper out from between one of the pages and the worn out cover of her notebook.

The boy took it in his hands, studying it closely before his smile somehow widened, causing her jaw to drop.

"We have all the same classes." He stated rather matter of factly, still smiling widley. She shook her head slightly, attempting to convince herself that some people we're just that happy.

《☆•♡•☆》

The shrill bell once again rang through the classroom, interrupting their peaceful conversation. She tilted her head to the side, waiting for whatever he wanted to say.

"Mrs. Medda's class is next. Theater teacher. We're actually working on tap dancing right now. Well, the others are, me not so much." He explained, his voice slowly dropping down to a low mumble as he chuckled nervously, reaching over to grab his crutch.

The girl immediately took notice of the small change of attitude. The smile never once left his face, but she did notice how it dimmed ever so slightly. She slung her bookbag over her shoulder as she stood up, studying his movements carefully. Her heart ached slightly, causing her to bite her lip before nodding to herself.

She slowly reached out, gently taking his free hand, the same tingles as before sending butterflies to her stomach.

"I don't really like dancing that much anyway." She stated quietly with a warm smile, her gaze never wavering.

The boy could feel his face heating up, his honey colored eyes widening slightly at the gesture. He could feel the same warmth from before, making him smile once again. Without any hesitation, he gently intertwined their fingers, absolutely loving how perfectly her smaller hand seemed to fit inside his own.

"Well then my lady, shall we go?" He questioned, a small blush still remaining on his slightly tanned skin. Her smile widened even more, the butterflies flapping their wings to the oh so wonderful beating of her heart.

"I think we shall."