Chapter 8

"Freedom!"

"Na-ah, no. You sit. Your teachers have been complaining about your homework not being done on time, and you know the rules, mister." The usually cheery woman stated sternly, a hand placed on her hip as she pointed towards the kitchen table, ignoring the boy's whines as he walked by. Her stern expression dropped almost immediately as she turned to the other boy, her usual smile returning, "Crutchie dear, could you maybe lend him a hand?"

"Er, sure Ms. Medda, I'll do my best." He replied, hesitantly turning his attention away from the retreating figure of the (E/C) girl and towards his best friend. Jack snickered under his breath as the boy made his way over, taking a seat beside him under the watchful eyes of the older woman.

"You don't know how to do it either, huh?"

"Not a clue."

"I can still hear you boys." The woman sang from her spot in the kitchen.

"Sorry Ms. Medda." They chorused, slight frowns etched into their features as they began to attempt the assigned equations. She chuckled in response, placing a tray of cheese and crackers in between them, receiving a quiet thank you from Crutchie before turning her attention to the stairs where the girl had disappeared.

A few minutes of peace passed before the hazel eyed boy mumbled out an 'ow,' his slight wince catching the attention of the older woman beside him. He let his pencil drop to the table, carefully rubbing a hand over his knuckles as a sharp throb cut through.

"You ok, Crutch?" Jack asked from his other side, briefly looking up from his doodles.

"Yeah it's nothin really. My hand's just been cramping a lot today. Not sure why." He stated with small shake of his head. He looked up at the woman as she let out a quiet hum, turning her attention back to the stairs where the girl had disappeared.

"Has it now?"

...

The girl shut the door behind her with a quiet sigh, leaning back against it as she let her eyes fall shut, emotionally and physically exhausted after the day's events. She gave herself a quick shake, hastily making her way over to her bed where she let her bag fall before dropping to the floor herself, searching for her old duffel bag she kept stashed underneath.

She winced when she felt her hand brush against the rough fabric, producing a sharp sting along her bloodied knuckles. Carefully grabbing it out, she placed it up on the bed, ruffling through the few contents inside with her uninjured hand, cradling the other against her chest.

A few mumbled curses tumbled past her lips at the sound of approaching footsteps. She hurriedly dumped out everything inside the bag, letting out a frustrated groan. Her breath quickened as she frantically looked around the room, hearing the footsteps drawing closer.

"Looking for this?" The dark skinned woman asked from her place in the doorway, holding up a small first aid kit for the girl to see.

"Oh, uh, hi Ms. Medda." She chuckled nervously in response, subconsciously hiding her hand behind her back as she bit her lip, the other coming up to fidget with her locket.

"Come now, let's get that hand taken care of." The woman stated with a kind smile, a knowing look in her eyes as she made her way over to the girl. She carefully set the few items she brought onto the desk, turning her attention back to the girl and gesturing for her to sit.

"No really, you don't have to I'm fine." The girl stated, taking a step back, raising her hands slightly as she shook her head no, an obviously fake smile plastered on her face.