Chapter Four

He sat alone at breakfast on Christmas Eve, because you had left on the first train that morning. That was until Zara sat across from him. "Riddle." She greeted. He simply nodded, acknowledging his presence.It was made clear to him rather quickly that she was not just there to eat. She lowered her voice. "What is your deal with Alex. Why are you suddenly so interested?" Her eyes flitted dangerously when she asked. He surveyed his classmate, rather surprised.

 "I don't think I understand what you mean." He received a glare. 

"You haven't so much as spoken a sentence to her our first three years, and now she spends half her time with you? Something doesn't add up. She might not see it, but I do.

"He took a bite of toast. "Can she not have a friend? Besides you, of course." He could not help the mocking in his voice. She narrowed her eyes at him once more.

"Of course she can. Just not you. You've never really struck me as the friend type. More of a leader." There was an unspoken undertone there. He knew Zara was betrothed to Avery. He knew Avery was not very good at secrets. He suspected Zara knew a lot about his... intimidation methods.

"I hadn't realized you were close enough with Ivetta to be so concerned." He used Ivetta as a jab, pointing out that Zara had never used the name. But what he had said was also true. You adored Zara, yet he never got the impression it went both ways.

For years, he had watched you trail after the other girl like a lost niffler. She called him a leader, yet, when it came to you, the only one you really followed was Zara. He could remember how you brought up her opinion on every little thing, even though you seemed to never be with her every detail of your life she seemed to critique. He could hardly refer to that as a friendship, could he? And now she seemed to be critiquing him. "I have known her since I was eight. I don't care if you don't get our friendship. Listen to me Riddle, I don't know what your plan is, but it might be wise to keep her out of it. I know things, about both of you. Alex is a good person, but she... has had a hard life. Don't make it harder. I make a better friend than enemy." 

He had to admit this did surprise him. He knew your life had been harder than most, but Zara seemed to be implying something else, something he could not quite figure out. You were such an enigma to him, even after the months if discussions and years of observing. So much of your life was hidden away from the world. Yet here was Zara, borderline threatening him with seemingly extensive knowledge on you. He had to believe that last sentence. The Shafiqs were a powerful family, and Zara was a true Slytherin, ambitious and cunning. And loyal. Clearly he had not taken this into consideration.

 "Ivetta is unique, as I'm sure you know. I have no intention of making her life harder." Seemingly satisfied, Zara left with a curt nod. He would have to keep a close eye on her.

(Ivetta)

She got off of the train filled with trepidation. She did not want to go to the manor. She saw he uncle, and knew it was too late to turn around. She walked toward him, head held high.

He saw her, and moved to meet her. When they met, he grabbed onto her arm. "Niece." She mumbled a greeting, and was scolded immediately. "Do not mumble! I should warn you that we have a guest. His name is Felix Hofer. He is an important Austrian businessman, looking to negotiate with the ministry. You will not mess it up."

He acted as if she had messed up countless business arrangements, when really the number was only around three. People did not trust officials who could not keep their charges under control. She didn't try to mess things up, she really didn't. Sometimes she just...she never knew what was happened, but she didn't do it on purpose.