Chapter Five

He felt ridiculous standing in the room of people, wearing much to his horror, a tailcoated tuxedo. Dress robes had been invented for a reason, yet wizards were still opting for muggle clothing! He saw you, dancing across the room with some man he did not know.

He waited until the man left you, finally. He made his move, approaching until you were in arm's reach. He tapped you on the shoulder. He took a step back as you spun around. "Tom! What are you doing here?"

He smirked at the surprise in your voice. "It seems that Avery was supposed to be here. Unfortunately, he fell ill at the last minute. His father did not want to insult anyone, as I understand it, the invitation is rather exclusive. So he offered it to me. I flooed in from Hogwarts." You looked dumbfounded, but he was telling the truth. Besides the fact he had been the one to make Avery ill.

Your face changed almost instantly. "Tom! I should have brought you with me in the first place! I was just so flustered, I can't stand it here, but oh no matter. I Really shouldn't't have let you be alone, especially on Christmas!" It was his turn to be dumbstruck. Partially because when you became flustered, the accent grew and it was harder to understand, and partially because from what he could understand you had completely misunderstood.

He was most definitely not there because he was lonely. Even the idea of it was absolutely preposterous! He was there because this was the one aspect of your life he had not figured out. You spoke about your uncle with such disdain, yet he knew nothing if the man other than the things the other boys mentioned, and that he read in the paper.

Now he was also there to figure out who the man you had been dancing with was, but that seemed irrelevant at the moment. "Do not fret. I can go two days without your constant presence. You worry far too much, Ivetta."

You snorted, something so very undignified for the current setting, not to mention your attire. "You speak to me as if you are years older instead of days. But I guess I was freaking out over nothing. Shall we dance? That is, if you know how?"

It was a challenge. You were challenging him. He knew how to dance. Abraxas wanted to take lessons without looking like an idiot, so he had forced all the boys to go with him. He grabbed your hand. If they were dancing, he would lead. "You look absolutely lovely, by the way."

He expected a blush. He wanted the cards back in his hand, to see a red flush creep up your neck. He was disappointed, however, when he was met with a smirk. "You clean up nicely yourself, Riddle."

They spun around the room, looking the same as all the other prestigious members of pure blood society, not like two teenagers fighting for the upper hand in an internal debate. You did look lovely. Not for the first time he noticed something oddly enchanting about your appearance. But for the first time he could tell others saw as well.

He was not jealous. "Who was the man you were with earlier." He might be a little jealous. But you were his after all, you had to know that. It was not except able for you to go flaunting around.

"A man my uncle knows. Some Austrian. He is staying here for a business trip or something. He's rather odd." He could tel you were holding something back from him. You may be the one with the odd intuition, but he could read people flawlessly. He would not push it, for one day he would know.

"Shall we go outside. I was going to be bored in this room all night, but now that your here I can leave." He did not want to go outside, he wanted to run into your uncle and learn everything about him. But to disagree would be suspicious, so he led them to the nearest door.

It was freezing outside, but you barely seemed effected at all. He grit his teeth. He would suffer in the cold to prove he could. "Did you see Cygnus? I saw him walk in earlier. I wonder why Walburga wasn't with them."