Chapter Eleven

"What do you mean?" His voice scared even him, steely and intimidating, yet you didn't even flinch.

"I'd figured you'd heard the rumors, you're always alluding. Yet tonight you didn't even hesitate." You let out a long sigh, and started playing with your hands. "I feel like if you're going to complain about bad blood, I should at least get my opinions in."

He reached for his wand, but after a moment's hesitation, reached for Morfin's instead. That one he could actually use. "Your father comes from a famed Eastern pureblood family. Your mother was arguably one of the most famous seers of all time. She had to have, at the very least, been a halfblood. Tell me again what opinions you are entitled to?"

He fond great joy in the wariness he could sense you had about the wand. "My mother was a fraud. She was not a seer. She had the gift of intuition and empathy. Gifts she passed on to me. She was also graced with precognition. Something I've never truly experienced."

"I don't understand, these are all things passed down in magical lines!"

"Magical, exactly. Not wizarding." It hit him then. What had been so obvious right from the beginning, what had always been off about you. Now everything was clicking into place. The article, your uncle's hatred, your gift with changing appearance.

"You're Veela." He'd never actually met one of the creatures before. And something about it made you, not his preconceived notion of an abomination, but even more interesting. "Your grandmother. So you're only three quarters human."

You sat down on the red armchair, hair clashing with the fabric's color. "Half. Or a bit more. Veela are part humanoid creatures already. But you're forgetting, precognition isn't a Veela trait."

He hadn't missed that, he had just assumed your grandmother had been special. He gave a nod of his head, expecting an explanation. You sighed again, but complied. "Once upon a time," he raised the wand, but you raised an eyebrow, and he found himself sitting in the armchair across from you. You cleared your throat.

"Once upon a time there was an incredibly powerful veela. She was different from the rest of her kind because she had the ability to channel magic as a wizard does, as well as use it in her natural form. This ability drew unwanted attention from numerous magical governments, forcing the Veela to go into hiding, but it also had gotten the attention of another group, one that does not normally interact with other magical kind at all. "

She looked at him expectantly, but he was already working on figuring it out. This had to be mid 1800's, and a creature with the power of precognition. Creatures that didn't interact with others. There was no way it was what he thought. There was no proof they existed, besides a few reports. Reports that had come out in the 1880's. He thought of everything he knew, and it all fit, mischievous and fearless, smart but uninvolved, connectable and above everything else, all seeing. "Fae." He expected you to shake your head no, to tell him he was insane. To say that no person could be part veela and part mythical creature. But you only nodded.

"There was no sweet story. The Fae, much like wizards, do not consider veela as beings with rights. They wanted a Fae with the power to wield a wand. There magic was powerful, but the weakness of all living things is the desire for more power. And so my mother was born. By that point, however, my grandmother had left with the baby, and played her off as half human. When her gift of sight became known, she called her a seer. The only proof that she was not of wizarding descent is found in the office of international records, where they have bloodline tests. I'm sure you know how they work, a drop of blood on enchanted parchment reveals all the wizards in a family. Her's would have shown up blank if she'd ever tried it. I have. It only shows my father's side. Where a mother's family should be, it says undefined. So yes Riddle, I know what it is like to have unclean blood. To be labeled as less. I believe you are against part creature's rights. Would you have me kicked out of Hogwarts? Unable to work in the ministry, to marry a wizard? Why do you think my Uncle broke off my engagement, why do you think he keeps me locked away? Why do you think my father did?"