Chapter 3

Dipper and Mabel had been staying at the Shack for about a week now. You had become acquainted with Candy, Grenda, Pacifica and a few other people in town who knew the "Mystery Twins". Soos was even throwing a party to celebrate their return. A party which you were not going to attend, despite Mabel's protests. "Come on, (Y/N)! You have to come! It'll be fun!" Mabel said, preemptively shaking an aerosol full of silly string.

"Sorry, Mabel. Parties aren't exactly my thing." you said. Mabel's jaw dropped. "Why not?! You would be a hit! You break out a couple dance moves and you'll have everyone mesmerized!" Mabel says, wiggling her fingers in front of her eyes to emphasize her point. You roll your eyes at her. "I can't dance, Mabel. I haven't danced a day in my life." you say, hoping that you convinced her. You took ballroom dance lessons when you were a kid, but that's far different from what Mabel is talking about. It's not that you're too good to dance casually, you just don't know how.

"Then I'll teach you!" Mabel shouts, excitement spilling out of her. You shook your head. "No thanks. I'd rather..." your words trailed off as Dipper stepped into the room, fumbling with the surplus of party decorations in his arms. You shook thoughts of him from your head quickly, but not quick enough for Mabel not to notice. "What if I said I could get Dipper to dance with you?" Mabel said, a sly smirk curling her lips upwards. An uncharacteristically bright blush covered your cheeks. "Dipper? Dipper wouldn't want to dance with me. I'm a guy." you said nervously, trying to cover for yourself.

Mabel still wasn't buying it. "I don't think it would make any difference. Dipper doesn't really care who his dancing partner is." Mabel said, throwing in a wink. You blushed intensely, not knowing how to respond. "G-good for him? Uh...." You had been rendered speechless by Mabel's implication. Did that mean he was bisexual? Or was he an ally? Your gaydar is broken beyond repair and you know next to nothing about the LGBTQ+ community. You don't even know what half of those letters mean. Lesbian, Gay, Bi, then it gets confusing. Saying that you had a conservative family would be an understatement.

"And Dipper's definitely a looker, so you should nab that as soon as you can." Mabel said. You paused for a moment, your features contorted in confusion.

"Either you just admitted that your sibling is attractive or you're complimenting yourself because he's your twin." you said. Mabel chuckled. "Ah, you caught me! Dipper may be awkward, but no one can resist the trademarked Pines family good looks." she said, making a face that you assumed was supposed to be "sultry". You glanced at a photo of the original man of mystery, his big, orange colored nose and beady eyes contradicting her statement. "I think I can bring myself to resist." you say sarcastically. Mabel frowns at this.

"Oh come on! You're so obvious! I thought Dipper was bad at hiding his crushes, but you're even worse!" she says. You turn red and shush her, hoping that Dipper and the rest wouldn't hear. "Alright. I wouldn't call it a crush. I just think he's kinda cute. Besides, I'm not going to the party. No matter what you try to bribe me with." you say in a hushed tone, trying to bring the conversation back to it's original topic. Mabel squints at you and purses her lips, the gears in her head creaking as they tried to come up with an idea.

"It's not happening Mabel. Besides, I have a shift at Greasy's tonight." You said, ending her dangerous thought process. She stuck out her tongue and sprayed some of the silly string into your hair. "Mabel!" you exclaimed, trying to dodge the wobbly ropes to no avail. The purple string clung to your (H/C) hair and you frowned at the hyperactive girl. "Looks like you have to wash that out before it stains." she says, a mischievous smirk playing on her lips. You glared at her and made your way upstairs to the bathroom.

Mabel, being the romantic prankster she is, decided to test just how much her brother could handle. "Yo, Dippingsauce! I have a favor to ask you." Mabel said as Dipper stopped setting up the snack table. "What is it? And why are you smiling like that?" Dipper responded, already cautious of the look on his sister's face. She shrugged it off. "No reason. I just can't seem to find my knitting needles anywhere. Could you check upstairs for me?" she asked.