Chapter 14

Stan drove everyone to Greasy's Diner and they climbed into a booth. You got ready for work and walked to the diner, catching them in the middle of their meal. They all looked so happy to see each other after so long. It made you feel remorseful. Your own family couldn't care if you lived or died.

You sat at the long dinner table, both of your parents at each end while you sat alone in the middle. None of you spoke as you ate the five-star meal. This was a typical family dinner. Distant and cold. But today was no regular day. Today was the day you had finally worked up enough courage to ask them.

You finished your meal quicker than normal, still making sure that your table manners held up to their standards. You had brought home a glowing report card. You had an A in every subject. There may have been some bribery involved in that report card, but you were sure that your parents would approve if they knew. That's how they ran their business, after all. After you finished you set your utensils down and sat up straight, clearing your throat to get your father's attention. You would prefer to ask your mother this question but you knew she would defer to your father either way.

He looked up from his meal and set his utensils down. "What is it, (Y/N)?" he asked. You gulped. "I have a question." you said, taking a deep breath so you wouldn't slip up or stutter. You didn't want another month of speech therapy.

"Go on."

"I'm 16 years old and most of my classmates have started dating. I was wondering if I could do the same." you said. Your father scowled and looked towards your mother. "I'm not sure it's a good idea. What do you think, dear?" he asked.

"I think it's wonderful! We can start looking at proper matches for him and get him on track to marry by the time he takes over the company." she said.

"Oh, no. I already know who I would like to be with." you interrupted. Your father's sharp gaze turned to you and he glowered suspiciously.

"And who might this mystery girl be?" he asked. You were tempted to look down at your lap, afraid of his reaction, but you knew it would be another week long seminar of how to sit and speak properly.

"They're not a girl." you said, you're voice wavering for a moment as the words left your mouth. You looked into your father's eyes like he always told you to do, but it was starting to feel like you were challenging a hungry lion.

"What was that?" he asked slowly, as if he hadn't heard you. You knew he was giving you one last chance to correct yourself, but you weren't going to give in. Not when it came to this. "They're not a girl. I have romantic feelings for a boy and I would like to pursue a relationship with him." you said, your fists clenching nervously. You felt your nails digging into your palms as you were met with silence. A tense calm before the storm. You could feel his anger rising from across the table, although he hadn't spoken a word. You knew you were in for it. You turned to your mother for some sort of compassion, but she looked at you with disgust.

The moment your father's anger burst out from his throat you knew that these people weren't your parents anymore. The man berated you for a good 15 minutes while you sat still, letting every word dig deeper and deeper beneath your skin. You knew that you couldn't say a word against him. It was blasphemous to even think you could win in an argument with him. He threw slurs at you that you had heard him use so many times as regular dinner conversation. They stung then but they felt worse when they were directed at you and only you. Your mother started to cry and stood from her seat, clinging to her husband to get him to stop.

This was your life. This scene replayed itself for each and every mistake that you made. You thought you had grown numb to it, but you couldn't help the tears that trickled down your cheeks. The sight of your tears made him angrier and louder.

Eventually he calmed down, letting his wife sob at his side.

"There's a fine boarding school in New York. They'll correct this mistake."

Your parents left you alone in the large, empty dining hall. You asked yourself over and over again why they couldn't just accept you, but you already knew the answer. They loved their smart, handsome, perfect, only child. Not you.

You shook the memory away as you slipped behind the counter, watching the Pines family (and Soos) eating a bunch of greasy, messy food and laughing together as Stan and Ford told stories of their adventures. You wondered what it would be like to be part of a family like that.

"Hey Dipstick. Why didn't you bring your new boyfriend?" Stan asked.

"He said he had a shift today." Dipper responded.

"Yeah. He works here so we might see him." Soos added.

"Well that's too bad. I thought I could get my grilling done quick." Stan said.

"You don't have to grill him, Grunkle Stan. (Y/N) is a really good guy." Mabel assured.

"I don't care whether he's a Saint or a crook. Grilling the new boyfriend is a family tradition. How else are we supposed to initiate him into the family?" he asked. Ford laughed at his brother and started recounting the times when they grilled their little sister's boyfriends but you had tuned out their conversation. You didn't quite know what grilling meant, but you were excited for it.