Chapter 1 - A Good First Day

It was the first day of your new highschool, and you had to admit, you were nervous. Looking in the mirror, you fidgeted with your hair and kept rearranging your uniform. No matter what you did, you felt like you didn't look right. 

What if everyone here hates me? What if they're all rich and snobby and think of me as some peasant girl? What if I'm wearing my uniform wrong? Does it look bad on me?

Dozens of thoughts filled your mind as you left your mirror and finished stuffing things into your backpack. Mondstat couldn't be that bad, right? You were a junior in highschool now, so you already experienced half of what school had to offer. Besides, you could probably survive one of the most prestigious schools for two years, right? Even without any friends, all you had to do was keep to yourself and sit queitly in the backs of classrooms. 

You made your way to the kitchen, grabbing a piece of toast from the toaster. You waved a quick goodbye to your parents as you started your walk to school. It wasn't far from your house, but you still had time to finish your toast before you got to the campus. You saw tons of kids walking into the building. It was the middle of October, a rather awkward time to be going to a new school, but you were forced to live with it. After all, you moved here because of a new job opportunity for your father. 

You wrapped your hands tightly around the straps of your bag. You felt your arms trembling as you forced yourself onwards into the building. You remembered that the principal, Master Varka, had informed you that two students would show you around campus and point out which classroms your classes would be held in. They were also supposed to show you some clubs and other activities after the day ended. You were supposed to check into the office and meet them there. 

"Hello!" You heard an optimistic voice call over to you. "How can I help you?" 

Sitting behind the large desk in the office was a woman with short brown hair. You figured she must be the secretary. 

"Ah... My name is Y/n. I'm new here. Master Varka told me that two students are supposed to show me around campus, and they're supposed to meet me here." 

She turned to a computer and started typing loudly. You stood awkwardly watching her. You really wished these students would hurry up and get here so you didn't have to be stuck with this odd woman. 

"Here you are." She held out a piece of paper. "This is your schedule! My name is Katheryne, by the way. Welcome to Mondstat High!" 

You took the paper from her, giving it a quick look-over. "Thank you," you said quietly. 

It feels so much more real now that I have a schedule... I'll actually be attending classes here. Hopefully these two students are kind. They're supposed to be juniors as well, so maybe they could introduce me to their friends too...

You were so enveloped in your own thoughts, you didn't even hear the door open. "You must be Y/n!" 

Snapping out of your thoughts, you looked up to see two blond-haired students looking at you. One wore a girl's uniform. Her hair was short, and she had a cute flower pinned in it. She flashed you a big smile. The other wore a boy's uniform. His hair was pulled back into a long braid. You had to admit, he pulled it off quite well. He smiled, giving you a little wave. 

"Y-Yes, that's me. F/n L/n!" You cursed at yourself internally for stuttering. You were sure your first impression was going to be terrible. 

"I'm Lumine," The girl said. 

"And I'm Aether!" The boy gestured to Lumine. "If you couldn't tell, we're twins. Master Varka wanted us to show you around campus since you're new." 

You nodded. "Um, nice to meet you guys." 

Lumine rushed forward and grabbed your wrist. "Come on, lets go!" She let out a mischevious laugh as she tugged you along. Aether sighed and followed behind the two of you. 

"You shouldn't scare her, Lumine!" 

You let the twins lead you around. Aether took your schedule, examining your classes. "Looks like we have English and Chemistry together. Lumine has Chemistry with us too, and you two will have Gym together." 

After all the time you had been walking, you hadn't noticed how your fingers were intertwined with Lumine's. You felt your cheeks heat up at the sight, but you forced yourself to stay calm. "I wish we had more classes together," She said, looking you directly in the eyes. "You seem like a lovely person!" 

If it was even possible, your face got even more red. "L-Lumine! Um, we barely know each other..." 

Aether laughed at the two of you. "C'mon Lumine, don't tease her like that. She is a lovely person, but we need to continue the tour." 

Did- did both of these twins just call me a lovely person!? 

You were beginning to think that maybe you weren't so screwed at this school after all.