Chapter 2: Of Gods and Goddesses

Sanem

I freeze. What the...

My gaze snaps up to the man behind the counter, who is still grinning. He looks at me like I'm a piece of trash that came right from the garbage bin. The feeling grows stronger.

I take a step back, placing my hands on my chest. Rubbing the place over my heart, I try to clear my head.

But right at that moment... all I want to do is rip that man's head off! At first, I can't place my finger on the emotion, but then I remember.

When I was ten my parents sat me down at the kitchen table and explained to me all the horrible emotions that were taken from us. Fear, pain, sadness, loneliness, and anger. Anger!

An emotion that can spark hatred. An emotion that can cloud your mind and judgement. An emotion that can control your actions.

An emotion that I am feeling right now.

But it can't...

Yes, it can!

And the reason for me feeling it in the first place is that man. He is wicked, cruel and utterly...

No!

I stop myself from thinking about those horrible things. Those things no one has ever felt or meant.

Until now...

What is happening to me? I need answers now! I frantically glance around the shop.

"OK..."

My eyes snap back to the man as he speaks.

"You can clear off now."

He shouldn't have said that. I grind my teeth as my hands ball into fists at my sides. No Sanem, I tell myself sternly. But my body has other ideas. I try in vain to stop myself from showing him a close up of my fist, but...

Suddenly the feeling starts to dull. I mean it's still there, but just not so fierce. It's like someone is using a sponge to soak it all up. I don't understand.

As my mind clears, my vision also refocuses.

The man is still in exactly the same place, but now his features hold a terrified expression. Or more like petrified. He's staring at me in horror.

Oh no. he probably can't comprehend what just happened. I can't comprehend what just happened. Filling my lungs with a big breath of air, I try to stay put and explain. No quitting.

But I'm already dashing for the door. Nearly ripping the handle off as I rush outside, I take one more look at the man.

He's still staring, but now his mouth hangs open.

I run.

🜋🜋🜋🜋🜋

Amare

As I walk away from Invidia I manage to hold back the disappointment. But only for a second. I thank the curtains that block her view from me. The curtains that separate me from the balcony.

How could she do this? How could she change her fate? I know she doesn't realize I saw that night. That night when she stood over the crystal pool and spoke those horrible words. She said 'show me Sanem.' I only thought she wanted to gaze upon her interestingly boring life. But I was wrong.

I only realized what she was up to when she spoke 'now change her fate.' But she changed more than just her fate. She changed the fate of the universe.

A quiet sob escapes my lips and I sink to my knees. Covering my face with my hands I try to hold back the tears. The tears of betrayal.