Chapter 24: If only you could change the past

Invidia

I bite my fingernails nervously, then curse myself for doing it. A princess who is about to become queen never shows signs of weakness. I grind my teeth and begin to pace back and force along the white corridor. The commotion outside is exhilarating. The city has breached the gates of the palace and the bloodshed has begun.

Regis will be here soon, to try and fix all of this. That is when I will drive my sword through his heart, and watch the life drain from his body.

Smiling with triumph I walk over and lean a shoulder against the door leading to the crystal pool on the other side. The corridor is empty. All my guards have already left to keep the commoners at bay until I kill the king. Now, I just have to wait. Straightening up I smooth down my purple gown, stained red from the blood of that servant boy.

Unexpected footfalls approach me from down the corridor. I swing around, drawing my sword, ready to cut down anyone that stands in my way.

But the person walking towards me is not a threat. Or more accurately, not a threat against my plans. Her beautiful hair and gorgeous face is still a threat to my being, though.

" I thought I'd find you here, Invidia." Sandrea glides across the marble floor, her brown gown cleaner than usual. My heart leaps at her presence, then twists in dread. She can't be here right now. It's too dangerous.

" What are you doing?" I hiss, storming over to grasp her upper arms, " You can't be here."

Her face falls, but she clenches her jaw, stubborn as ever.

" I know," She raises her chin, meeting my gaze head-on, " I know what you said to me down in the city. I know how much I'm a huge mistake, " She sucks in her lower lip, " But I just had to see you Invidia. I know how wrong this is. I know that your father will never approve..."

I sigh, letting her go to rub my forehead in frustration. I hate how she makes me feel.

" I know." Sandrea reaches out, gently tilting my chin up to look me dead in the eyes. I gulp. " I know what I'm doing to you. But no matter how hard I try, I just can't stay away. I can't stop thinking about you."

" Stop." I croak, trying to pull back. But she steps forward, placing a hand against my heaving chest. I swallow staring down at her, unshielded longing burning in my eyes.

" I... I think I..." She trails off, and the last three words are barely audible, " I love you."

The last fragments of the chains holding me back shatter. I step forward and crush her lips to mine, cupping her face in my palms. She sighs into my mouth, wrapping her arms around my waist and pulling me closer. All of my inhibitions float away. I want Sandrea. I want her with all of my heart. Who knew that the hate-filled Invidia could ever fall in love?

I groan as our tongues meet, and she presses her body to mine, backing me into the wall. My hands roam over her chest, shoulders, hips, without hesitation, as if I can't get enough of her. We meld our lips together, tasting each other.

Then the sound of pounding feet and slamming of bodies on the marble floor jolts us apart. I push her back, stepping away from the wall to look down the corridor. It isn't long before they appear, their feet echoing as they dash towards us, swords raised.

🜋🜋🜋🜋🜋

Sanem

I don't stop, not until the last guard has fallen. Then it is as if all the fight drains from me. I fall, hitting the bloodied marble floor with a thump, rolling onto my back. I am surrounded by the corpses of my victims, all shredded and torn. Blood soaks my clothes, smeared over my exposed flesh. I tremble, unable to move or rise from the ground.