Potions and Problems

Stepping into the classroom, all eyes turned to us including our head of house Severus Snape. I glanced around searching for a table for me and the others. I quickly found one towards the back of the classroom and stalked towards it. Sitting down, I set up my table with some parchment, a quill and my cauldron.
Continuing to get my other items out of my bag for potions I only half listened as Snape called out our names for a register. Once I finished I looked up at Snape just in time for him to call out my name.

"Potter!" He shouted making some of the surrounding students jump. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" He questioned with a sneer. I answer in a bored tone "A sleeping potion so powerful it's know as the Draught of Living Death." His eyes widened slightly as if not expecting me to get the answer right. Little did he know I had read and memorised several of the potions books months ago. He asked another question about where I would find a bezoar. I answered in the same dull and disinterested tone "In the stomach of a goat sir," He looked like he was going to stop questioning me but then he asked the final question "What is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane?" I quietly looked around and saw granger standing on her top toes waving her hand around. Catching her eye with a smirk, I answer the final question "Monkshood and Wolfsbane are the same plant. They also go by the name Aconite."

Granger glares at me seemingly infuriated that she didn't get to answer. Seeing my smirk, Snape glares at granger snapping at her to sit down whilst taking five points from Gryffindor. He looks around the classroom to see everyone staring at him "Well why aren't you writing that down!" He demands sneering at the Gryffindors.

Snape quickly pointed us in the direction of the storage cupboard indicating for us to get our ingredients. In the cupboard, I got the six snake fangs needed as well as the four horned slugs and the porcupine quills.

Using the first year book Magical Drafts and Potions, I carried out the recipe which was in two parts. The first part was to add six snake fangs to the mortar and crush them into powder using the pestle. Then I had to add four measures of the crushed fang into my cauldron, heating the mixture to two hundred and fifty for ten seconds. I waved my wand now having to leave it to brew for thirty three to forty minutes. Having completed part one and setting a timer I waited.

Whilst waiting I looked around the classroom observing how friends and rivals were fairing. Draco seemed to have just completed the same stage as me having turned down the temperature to let the potion brew. The Granger girl also seemed to be at the same stage as Draco and I and looked at me smugly. The ginger boy next to her that I knew as a Weasley was still focusing on his potion.

I watched him inwardly laughing as his potion turned a swampy brown and Snape came over and verbally berated him. Looking at my timer I saw that I only had to wait ten more minutes until I could continue onto part two and the final part of my potion.

Observing my surroundings for the next few minutes until my timer went I saw a short stumpy brunette that I recognised as Neville Longbottom. He was looking around and glancing at Snape nervously.

My timer suddenly rang bringing me out of my observations and I continued on my potion. I added the four horned slugs to my potion quickly taking it of the heat aware of the consequences adding the quills before I had would cause. I added the porcupine quills to my cauldron and stirred five times clockwise, waving my wand again to complete the potion.

I watched in satisfaction as the potion became the required blue colour before carefully pouring it into each vile, taking great interest to correctly label them for use.

A loud bang grabbed my attention as I put the cork on the last vile of potion. My eyes were drawn to the melted cauldron on the opposite side of the classroom and the groaning boy in the floor. It was the nervous Longbottom. Snape also hearing the bang pointed at two random Gryffindors ordering them to take Longbottom to the hospital wing. He then rounded on the Weasley boy who was sitting next to Neville. "You!" Snape shouted with an a complimentary sneer "Why didn't you tell him to take the cauldron of before adding the quills. Thought it make you look good if he failed Weasley?" Snape question with a sneer of distain.

Weasley feebly stuttered an answer. Snape getting impatient took 10 points from Gryffindor. I shot Weasley a smirk and he glared at me from across the classroom.

————————————————————

It was nearing the end of potions class and now everyone had finished the potion. Whether it was actually usable was down to the skill of the student who made it. Potions made by students like Draco and I were fully usable. However potions made by students like Weasley or Longbottom could have any affect not intended.

The bell had rang and Snape dismissed us from class. The Gryffindor students rushed to pack relieved that they had survived their first double potions with Snape. In contrast, the Slytherins packed elegantly with a dignified pureblood air.

Walking out of the classroom, I got shoved down by a flash of red hair. 'Weasley,' I thought. 'Is he an idiot. We're right outside of Snape's classroom.' I rolled my eyes giving a thankful smile to Draco who had helped me up from the floor. Crabb and Goyle had grabbed Weasley's arms refraining him from attacking me again. "You're a traitor Potter!" He shouted drawing attention from others in the hallway. "You should be in Gryffindor not with the slimy Slytherins!" He shouted once more. "And don't think I didn't see you laughing at me getting in trouble!" He shouted again.

I was about to reply before Snape came out of the classroom. "What, pray tell me, is going on out here?" He questioned glaring at Weasley. "It was Potter professor! She pushed me!" I scoffed at his obvious lie and smile as Draco came to my defence. "He's lying professor, we came out of the classroom and Weasley attacked Melodie, then Crabb and Goyle detained him to prevent him from doing it again." Snape, after listening to Draco, rounded his glare on Weasley. "30 points from Gryffindor for attacking a student and lying to a professor and a detention tonight with me." Snape said icily storming back into the classroom before Weasley could protest.

After Snape had closed the classroom door, me Draco and Pansy, again followed by Theo and Blaise, made our way back to the common room. Once safely inside I turned to my friends and smiled "Well that was an interesting start to the day." We all talked into the common room before making our way to lunch in the great hall.

————————————————————

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm sorry about the slow updates and that this chapter was a bit boring, but one of the next chapters should hopefully be more exiting. I'm thinking of pairing Melodie and Draco together in the future. I was thinking about Melodie and Tom/Voldemort and then I remembered that one: he is literally 70 and two: they are cousins. No thanks. Thoughts on that pairing? I'll try to get the next chapter out sooner. -Lovelyangel