Three Little Pigs: Bonus Short

"Meriwether!"

The sound of his name might have startled him had he not heard Nova's swift, worried approach. He made a sound of easy acknowledgement, not breaking his gaze from the treeline and—beyond—the wreckage of what had once been a building. Humans stood in a circle near it, talking among themselves and occasionally darting nervous looks toward the forest which stood still and quiet, as if aware that it had people watching it.

Meriwether kept concealed and he reached a hand leisurely to grab the scruff of Nova's neck as the wolf broke through the brush. He pushed him down gently-but-firmly, assuring his concealment below the bushes as he briefly spluttered (a funny noise coming from a wolf's snout).

"Shh now," he said and absently stroked Nova's head, feeling fur morph to soft, thick hair.

"Meriwether," he hissed again, his eyes narrowed and darting between Meriwether and the humans beyond the trees.

"Hmm-mm. Heard you the first time you said my name."

"It's dangerous," Nova said, his voice reverberating with a deep, protective growl.

Meriwether, who thought him even more attractive when he was being protective, smiled absently and leaned into his side. Nova's sound stopped abruptly in surprise, even more when Meriwether blindly moved his hand until he could hook it firmly above his hip.

"It's all right," he said. "I was just havin' a look."

The humans were departing even as they spoke and Meriwether was glad to straighten up, stretching his body, popping up on his toes before relaxing with his hands swinging down. He could feel Nova's eyes boring a hole into him and ignored it for a moment or two before gradually bringing their gazes to meet. Nova blinked once, slowly, then narrowed his eyes as he scrutinised Meriwether.

He stood before him, leaning in close, close enough their noses could touch if Meriwether tipped up his face. Meriwether was sure Nova wasn't aware of the closeness, so set on the task he had in mind of checking to see if Meriwether was all right, and thus—

Sweeping his hand firmly around Nova's waist, he pulled him in that breath of distance and kissed him long and slow. He lingered, tasting his mouth and swallowing Nova's surprised hitching gasp, eating up the sound that followed with a flick of his tongue. His hand wandered up a slender, muscular back until Nova arched, pressing into him, welcoming his attention and affection even while being surprised.

Then it ended and Meriwether murmured lazily to Nova's damp lips, "I'm fine, y'know. I won't go charging out at humans for no reason. Just gotta keep an eye on 'em when they're around."

Nova's gaze was cloudy and it took a minute for him to refocus. When he did, the fur on his ears and tail bristled slightly and his cheeks flushed. "I...! Well, when you're gone when I wake up, I can't help but worry about you!"

Meriwether smiled and kissed his chin, nipping playfully when Nova shivered. "Sorry for leaving you by your lonesome."

"I'm fine with it," Nova growled stubbornly.

Maybe sometimes he was, Meriwether thought, but not today. And that was important to him.

He ran his hand through hair where the gray most noticeably changed to black, that gradient of monochrome colours he liked to play with, tug apart to observe the complexity of it when they lay together in Meriwether's glade. When Nova's gaze dropped he pressed their foreheads together and sighed contentedly.

"I'm sick of watching humans," Meriwether told him, "I'd rather go back and watch you."

Nova's cheeks flushed and he frowned at Meriwether before defiantly grabbing his hand. He nuzzled him, kissed his palm with a hint of bite and, to Meriwether's pleasant surprise, declared, "I'm going to be the one watching you today. Be prepared."

Meriwether laughed and the merry sound echoed off the trees as they headed into the forest, Nova's sheepish smile soon swallowed up by the safe shadow of branches.