Diamonds and Toads: Bonus Short III

The capital was absolutely overflowing with people. Magnus startled and hissed angrily through his teeth as yet another oblivious person shoved their bulk into him. The man leapt away with a startled expression and half-formed apology as Rolf laughed thinly where he stood by protectively at Magnus's other side.

"They can't help it," Rolf soothed him, squeezing Magnus's hand gently. "Don't get so mad, little king."

Magnus curled his lip with disdain. "I don't like anyone touching me except for you. I can't help it," he said haughtily.

Rolf laughed again, his eyes gentle with affection, and pulled Magnus along as best as he could.

The crowds were suffocating. Though he had been looking forward to joining Rolf for this festival, his mood had soured and continued the longer he had to smell the rank scent of too many humans, all crammed into one space. He imagined a scenario in which he and Rolf could traverse the city with ease, where they could indulge in all manner of new things uninterrupted by the other beings that inhabited the country.

Of course, life could not be so convenient.

Magnus growled as another person slammed into him, jerking his body and failing to realise—at least immediately—that Rolf's hand had been torn from his own.

When he turned back after no unconvincing reprimand came, he froze.

"Rolf?" he muttered, scanning the moving, living human entity all around him. He didn't see his familiar face, dark hair, his muscular build, and his heart thumped erratically in his chest, pounding against his ribcage. He could feel it in his throat and Magnus uttered a harsh sound as his vision began to spot.

"Rolf! Where are you?"

Damned crowds, damned invitation, damned festival!

Panic broiled through Magnus as he looked to and fro, seeing nothing but unrecognisable, ugly human faces all around him. Unconsciously he shrank back, stumbling in his haste to get against something solid, something grounded. What he needed was Rolf and he hadn't realised how absolutely terrible being torn from him would be. He'd imagined it, he'd felt that loss when he thought he was going to be taken from him before, but this was an entirely different ordeal.

The human sea around him pushed him on and Magnus's breath heightened, panting in harsh rasps, eyes wide and wild.

Then, warmth folded around him from behind, and a familiar scent flooded his nose.

"That scared me," Rolf said with a whoosh of breath. "Are you all right, Magnus?"

When he received no reply—Magnus was still struggling to breathe, to focus—Rolf made a confused sound. He forced the smaller man to turn around, took one look at his face and his features pinched.

Magnus found himself hauled up, lifted, pressed into Rolf's chest. It was startling enough to snap him out of the reverie he'd fallen into, blinking rapidly, and he wasted no time in twining his arms about Rolf's neck to cling to him. Rolf pushed his way through the throngs of excited people, tourists and nobles and peasants alike, his expression determined.

"I'm fine," he answered him at last, belatedly.

Rolf smiled crookedly at him, but said no more as he carved a path through the people.

-----------------------

Verde—ugh, Verde—had given them their own room at the castle. It had been very generous, so Rolf said, and he'd tried to turn it down, but Verde had been insistent. Now, Magnus was glad for it, for the castle was close to the centre of the city where the festival took place. Before he knew it, he was surrounded by the gentle quiet of the castle, bereft of its usual rabble and nobles, out mingling and enjoying the festivities.

"I can walk," Magnus drawled, not really wanting to be put down and enjoying both his vantage point and being held in Rolf's arms.

"We're about there anyway," Rolf replied with a small chuckle.

Their room was as lavish as one would expect, luxurious enough to make Rolf ginger and careful when he was moving about it. Magnus sunk into the soft bed thankfully when Rolf set him on it, falling backward and flopping his arms over his eyes.

Rolf sat on the other side and Magnus hummed appreciatively as a hand smoothed over his chest.

"You got spooked out there, Magnus," he said. "It was a lot, wasn't it?"

"Bah," Magnus muttered. "Crowds, whatever, as long as you're beside me it doesn't matter."

Unintentionally revealing the source of his panic, Magnus huffed into his arms, feeling embarrassed about the whole thing now. But Rolf soothed him with a gentle rub of his palm, and then the bed sank as Rolf lay alongside him.

He spooned Magnus backward gently and Magnus went, more than willing to absorb all of his body heat and comfort.

"Sorry," Rolf murmured.

"Not your fault some damned idiots came between us." Magnus tilted his head back, resting it against Rolf's collarbone. "You found me again anyway."

Rolf grunted his affirmative quietly. A minute or two passed, with Rolf gently cuddling him and petting against his chest, as though ensuring that Magnus's heartbeat was calm. Finally, Rolf said to him, "I'll always find you. No matter what."

Magnus opened his eyes as Rolf tucked his chin over his head. "Always?" he questioned archly.

"Of course. I'll never let us be parted. We'll always be together."

Always.

How sweet a word, that. Sweeter still, the promise Rolf made. Could he keep it? Magnus thought so. He imagined Rolf braving battles and torment for him, smiling slightly to himself, and vowing silently to avoid such situations. He wanted nothing more than a long and peaceful life with the person whom he loved.

"Well, don't forget it. That's your solemn oath you're giving me."

"Ah, am I your knight, little king?"

"Hmph. Consider yourself knighted, musclehead." Magnus squirmed to face him and extended both arms to wrap about Rolf's shoulders. "Now, your king commands you to give him a kiss."

As Rolf leaned in with a laugh, he acquiesced and said to Magnus's mouth, "Yes. I'm but your humble servant."