The Six Swans: Bonus Short II

"Ooof!"

Pembook caught the tripping Esque around the chest with both arms, supporting his weight as he blinked, baffled, at the ground below him. He lifted his head, gazing up at Pembrook's stony face (wrinkled slightly in concern) and beamed at him.

"Be careful," Pembrook advised him gently, helping him straighten up.

"Thanks, Pem!" Esque seized him around the waist in a firm, happy hug, before he whipped away and took off again. Pembrook sighed softly, a sigh that no young boy should need to make, and ignored when a snicker sounded behind him.

"I remember when he used to chase after you like that," Herth remarked. "Just like a little chick, always following you around. 'Pem' this, 'Pem' that."

Pembrook's eyes darkened as he looked at his eldest brother, his lips screwed up in what the boy would never admit was a pout. "What are you getting at?"

"It's funny how he chases Ashlin around now, that's all," Herth snickered.

"I don't think that it's funny."

"Well, 'course not! You're jealous! Jelly beans."

Pembrook looked about as mutinous as a sixteen-year-old boy could look and Herth finally took the hint to shut up, rubbing the back of his head with a guffaw. He didn't stay quiet for long, for when did Herth ever stop talking, and he leaned his elbows on his knees, grinning at Pembrook from his tree branch perch.

"Don't worry," he said jovially. "I'm sure he'll still marry you when you're both of age, like he promise—gnfffgh."

Gnfffgh was an eloquent way to describe the sound made by the eldest prince as Pembrook, with a stony expression, yanked him straight off the tree branch and face-first into the earth below. He stood looking down at his older brother coldly while Herth moaned, rolled around and complained, before walking away with a huff.

As young children, ever since Esque was born, they'd been inseparable.

It was just something that happened. Before Pembrook knew it, Esque was always treading just behind him or doing his best to keep up with Pembrook's stride while chattering on to him about anything and everything. They'd travelled together, spent time with their mother before she died together while she did her best to show them how to mend their own clothes—in case of emergencies! she'd say—or how to play chess.

But ever since Ashlin had been taken in by their father...

Pembrook shook his head, shaking off the cloudy thoughts with a small scowl. He was jealous. It wasn't Ashlin's fault, but he still was very, very jealous of him for having all of the attention that had once been exclusively bestowed upon him.

'If Esque ever knew I thought this way,' Pembrook thought, 'he would hate me.'

He should be the person Esque always saw him as. Responsible, smart, reliable. Even if... even if Esque didn't want to marry him anymore, even if Esque didn't love him like Pembrook loved him.

"Pem!"

Esque, as though summoned, came bounding through the trees, a troubled slant to his eyebrows. Pembrook moved automatically, steadying him as he came to an ungainly halt and laughed, his hand on Pembrook's arm.

"There's no need to rush around like that," he told him gently.

"I know—wait, this time, there is! Dad's brought back a lady."

Pembrook's features froze. "He's what?"

"A lady! He's got a girlfriend or something?" Esque spluttered. "Isn't he too old to go hunting for ladies now? Jeez!"

"...You would think, yes."

A new lady, for their father? If he was bringing her back to the castle... it must be serious. Pembrook felt a strange, unwarranted twinge of unease in his heart, but shook it off. He took Esque's hand in his own and tugged him gently.

"Let's go meet her," he said, unaware of what the future would bring.

------------

"Pem? You've been spacing out!"

Pembrook blinked, the glazed scenery of his youth disappearing into the present familiar walls of his bedroom. A head of dark hair lifted and two eyes peered indignantly up at him from where Esque had been sprawled across his lap, leisurely going through one of his latest books and chatting along to Pembrook as he read.

"I was lost in memories," he said, placing his clawed hand lightly upon Esque's head. He saw eyes close with pleasure and stroked his hair gently, trailing his fingertips down his cheek until he saw a blush darkening his complexion.

"Memories of what?" Esque kicked his feet back and forth leisurely, leaning his side against Pembrook's stomach. Comfortably, Pembrook laid his hand on his back and traced the outlines of his shoulder blades through his shirt.

"Of us. When we were younger." Pembrook hesitated, unable to divulge all of it and deciding on, "Do you remember when you asked me to marry you?"

"Eh?"

"When we were younger," Pembrook added.

"Wh—how much younger?" Esque spluttered, looking abruptly embarrassed for some reason. Pembrook canted his head thoughtfully and gave a vague estimation, one that made Esque groan in horror, burying his face in his hands, book forgotten. "Oh my god."

"At least I was proposed to before you went and proposed to Ashlin," Pembrook mused.

Esque shrieked in horror this time and launched himself from his position to slam face-first into the bed. He rolled about in what Pembrook could only call utter humiliation, his hands balling in his hair as he muffled what seemed to be a stream of curses.

"I was so dumb," he said at last, muffled, when he'd finished his flailing.

"Hmm?"

"I dunno," Esque admitted, still muffled, "but I always thought—I mean. You were always so amazing. I always loved you the most, more than anyone. But then Ashlin came along and I thought that maybe I shouldn't love you like that, since you're so much better than me. But I totally asked you to marry me first ughhhh, and I can't even remember it."

"You were quite young," Pembrook murmured indulgently, stroking his fingertips along Esque's back. "At the time, I didn't think much of it, I just thought it was very cute. But then you forgot—and I thought you had moved on from me when you two became fast friends."

Esque shot up then, his eyes wide, fixed on Pembrook's face. "Moved on from you! No! Never, no way, no how!" he exclaimed. "I'll never move on from you, Pembrook."

Pembrook blinked, smiled gently, and reached out to cup Esque's cheek with his human hand. "Promise?"

"Of course. I swear it." Esque's eyes seemed to burn then, determined, and he pressed his hand over Pembrook's, squeezing.

"Thank you."

If Esque ever did, Pembrook thought, he would finally find out just how jealous and determined Pembrook could be. Now that he had who he had longed for over countless years, he would never give up without a fierce fight.