Chapter Sixteen

Before nightfall, we exited the Fervidus territories completely. With that, the chances of Alpha Aidan's pack catching up to us slimmed down considerably. The chill was much like that of entering a pack's property. The heat of the Fervidus territories left us, like it'd been sucked out of our bodies. Of course, it wasn't freezing on the outside. But it wasn't warm either. It was chilly.

The Alpha recognised the feeling. He wore a knowing look.

"It'll start getting dark again soon," Igor announced to us all. "We should find somewhere to set up camp for the night."

We kept walking on for a while, until eventually, we found the area with the most trees. Only then did I hand the Alpha's chains back to Igor, who got started tying him up once again around a tree.

Peter returned sooner or later with more berries he'd found. Trish gave my side a nudge.

"You're going to have to feed him something. He'll end up starving."

I nodded, accepting the Alpha's share. When he saw me approaching and knew what I planned to do, he stretched his legs out wide. I narrowed my eyes.

"Move them before I kick them."

"It's hard to get comfy when you're chained to a tree, babe. This is the best way I've found yet."

There was nowhere else around him for me to sit, and he knew that. It was why he'd done it. Glaring at him all the while, I sat crossed legged on the damp ground in the space he'd made between his legs. The sight of it seemed to please him.

"I thought you said I wasn't your pet," He said as I lifted the first of the berries.

"I don't have to do this. I could go get Igor to do it for you, if you want. You know, since you want him for your Beta and all. It'd be good practice. You could teach him right now what it's like being your bitch."

"Why would I have him do that when I could have you do it?" I could sense his general smugness and hear his smile. "I could make you my bitch."

I huffed, budged closer and rolled my eyes. I did that an awful lot at the minute.

With a berry in hand, I reached forwards.

"Open your mouth."

For a second, I was sure he'd refuse, but then a look of thoughtfulness crossed his features. When I noticed, I was going to pull away, but he leaned forwards too soon. It was strangely sensual. His teeth grazed my fingers. I knew what he was doing. He wanted me to think about him in that light.

We'd got past the physical appeal already. Of course I found those brown half curls and delectable muscles appealing—but it was never going to happen, no matter how many things he tried to corrupt and sexualise.

"Alright, I'm done with this. You had your chance. You can starve."

"Don't go Lorrie. I promise, I won't do it again."

He looked honest enough.

"You're doing it on purpose."

"You're right. I am." And the honesty was shocking. "You can't feel the sparks, but I can. I need to be touching you and feeling you and talking to you. But you can't seem to get far enough away from me. So yes, babe, if I can find an opportunity to make you feel just an ounce of what I'm feeling, then I'll take it."

He was begging for me to meet his eyes. To touch him. To feel something. To give him something. But I wouldn't allow myself to. I couldn't allow myself to. There was too much on the line.