Chapter Twenty-Nine

I suppose, in some regards, the Ranger didn't look too bad for his age. For a man of nearly seventy, he had a surprising amount of spring in him. His face wasn't as wrinkled as one might've thought, and his hair- despite being silver- was long. He wasn't balding at all. Nor was his skin saggy. His presence still demanded respect.

He could still beat me to a pulp should he so wish to. But this didn't bother me in the slightest as I slammed a fist down on his desk. I knew beforehand that I already had his attention. "So this dinner of yours- you only host these things when you think you're being smart. When you're up to something. So tell me what it is you're up to."

He reclined in his chair, tapping the lid of his pen against his chin. "Who says I'm up to something, Lorelei? That's always been your problem. You're too quick to distrust. That Alpha of yours. You can't really think he'd ever screw you over?"

"He's not my Alpha."

"Maybe not in the pack sense, but definitely the possessive sense." I was getting sick of people telling me this. They'd realise sooner or later that he wasn't mine. Eventually, the Alpha would have to get impatient with waiting for me. He'd take someone else—unless he planned to wait this thing out until my heat started. During that time, I didn't doubt that I'd be quite a bit more open than usual to his advances. Anything to take the pain away. Besides, the beast inside of me longed to sink her claws into that man.

"Don't think word of your arrival hasn't reached me," He continued. "A kick to the face for a touch is harsh, even by your standards."

"I didn't kick her for touching him."

Yes I did. Because when I'd seen that she-wolf touch him- even his leg- a raging hot jealousy had shot through me. One I was far too unfamiliar with to control or deaden. I deadened everything I knew. I knew how to flatten my happiness and vacuum up the tears. I knew how to mask my shock with a hard look, how to smooth over my fear with the iron. But I'd never felt jealousy before. In that singular moment, I'd wanted to see that she-wolf burn.

Feelings were dangerous, so I kicked her in the face. It was so simple, yet so complex.

Was I ready to accept this? No. Not at all. Because I knew it was jealousy, but you could be jealous of people for touching things you didn't even want.

"Then what did you kick her for?"

"To make an entrance. Why else?"

He sighed, his fingers tapping on the desk. Sometimes, I got the feeling that I was a lot to handle. "I understand that your Mother had a bad run in with mate bonds in the past. Is this what you're using as your line of reasoning to push him away?" I shrivelled in on myself. "One failed mate bond means yours is destined to fail too, correct?"

"Watch it old man. You may be the stronger of the two of us, but I'm slyer."

"Have I ever told you about my mate?"

"I don't know. Maybe like once or a billion times."

Oh great. I might as well sit down. Story time. Yay. What was it with everyone feeding me their stories to try and teach me a lesson? Didn't they understand? Their stories were their own lessons. Not mine.

"My Maya was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen." His eyes took on that whimsical look. The one that told me I'd be stuck in here for a long time. "She had the quickest tongue, too. I- like you- thought I was above having a mate. I thought I could choose a better match for myself than fate could. I spent so long pushing her away. By the time I realised what I had, I'd already lost her. Don't make my mistake, Lorelei."

I barely stifled a yawn.

"That's different. Your parents never messed the prospect up for you."