Chapter Thirty-Five

I didn't turn around upon getting into the car. No one spoke for a while as we drove away. I entertained myself picturing the look that must've been on my Mother's face. She'd fake disappointment. Sometimes, she was known to get so dramatic she'd press a hand over her stomach as if someone had stabbed her, before dropping down to her knees and sobbing where everyone could see her.

Those were the images that entertained me. The images of her in misery.

"We'll be at Alpha Diego's by nightfall," I said eventually, the first to break the silence. "We'll come up with a plan before we reach the pack line. Everyone best be thinking about it until then."

"How will we know we're about to enter?" Trish asked.

"Trust me. I'll know."

From the front, Igor watched me in the rear view mirror, still opting not to talk. The Alpha hummed, eyes on the road. "How many packs have you been to, Lorrie?"

"At some point, I'd say I've been to all of them. Eventually, you can sense where a pack line is before you hit it. There's a certain level of power that comes from one. Focus and you'll feel it."

It was the warning before the real warning.

"Are we going to talk about-?"

I cut him off before he could finish that, eyes darting towards Trish who listened in with interest.

The Alpha wanted to talk about what I'd told my Mother. About the way he looked at me. I wouldn't define it by embarrassment or shame, but it was certainly something I'd forget had ever happened.

"Preferably, never. But I'm definitely not talking about it with Trish and Igor in the car. Don't be stupid."

"Oh please," Trish mocked. "I'm aware of most of your squabbles."

"And I'm aware of most of your intimacy. That doesn't mean we should talk about it."

She took a moment to think about it, groaned and gave in. "Okay. Fair point. Proceed."

As far as a plan was concerned, that was generally as far as I'd gotten. I'd said it a billion times before. I work best under pressure. The current abundant lack of pressure wasn't doing much for me.

Not to mention the matter of me having other things on my mind.

"I do have a question, come to think of it." I pushed myself forwards until I could just about see the side of the Alpha's face. "What did the Ranger give to you?"

"You should stop asking. I'm not going to tell you."

"Is there nothing I can do?"

"There's plenty you can do, but it still doesn't mean I'm going to tell you." I'd figure it out somehow. Really all I'd have to do is wait for him to fall asleep. "I quite like this, though. It's nice having you at my mercy for a change."

He'd regret saying that. Somehow, I'd make sure of it.

"How long is there left until your heat kicks in?" Trish asked. From the look, I knew she only wanted to know so she could figure out how long she had to wait until she could rub it in. "What are you giving me that look for?"

From the front, the Alpha piped up. "Lorrie's heat's already started."

"What? Since when?"

"Since I found out she was an Alpha."

Her wide eyes turned to me, struggling to believe what she was hearing. "And you're okay with it?"

No.