Chapter 7 - Dreams in D minor

"Ah, it appears that Amane's group has won unanimously," Okizari hums. "Well then, would any of you like to demo the music?"

The group looks at each other before Amane slowly raises his hand. "...I will"

The boy gets up and reviews the lyrics really quickly. Okizari starts a stanza early and Amane sings. He sings like it's his last day, and he sings like there's nothing else left. The rest of the group watches in awe as he performs. Nene's never heard him sing like that before. The piece finishes and the class goes silent.

"UWAAAAH YUGI-KUN'S SO COOL!"

"YUGI-KUN TEACH ME HOW YOU DO IT PLEASE!"

"YUGI-KUN!"

The class erupts into praise and Amane goes red. Okizari lets it happen. The boy did deserve some praise for being able to sing that well after all. Following a couple other screams, Okizari has the class quiet down.

"Yugi-kun you're really good at singing! Like a perfect jack of all trades!" Okizari smiles, her eyes hinting at something else.

"T-thank you sensei," Amane smiles, his eyes holding the same violence.

"Well, what song are we having me sing today?" Okizari hums.

"AAAAAH SENSEI'S GONNA SING!"

"WHAT SONG WHAT SONG!"

"But sensei you don't usually sing for us... could something be happening?" Mitsuba speaks up.

"Ah, well there's a meteor shower tonight, right? I was thinking of treating you all!"

"AAAAH!"

"SENSEI'S SO NICE!"

"If you keep yelling like that I'm taking my offer back," Okizari deadpans.

"Eep." The students quiet down and Okizari smiles.

"Well, any songs?" a student grabs the songbook and flips through the pages to find a song.

"WHY!"

"huh?"

"The song that sensei liked singing! Why by Sabrina...?"

"Ah!" The kids smile. "Yes, that song!"

"Well..." Okizari smiles at the kids. "If you insist,"

The sound of her voice echoes through the halls for the rest of the time. The kids listen as they clean up the loose papers. Nene and Kou sneak out of the room at some point but Okizari doesn't pay them attention. It wasn't like

"Well, time to go observe the stars, right Yugi-kun?" Okizari smiles. The children get up one by one and leave the room. Amane is the last one to leave.

"Do you... really not like it here?" Hanako asks. Okizari looks taken aback before she laughs.

"A mirage can only last so long number seven. I would still rather live in a world where people are honest with their emotions rather than putting up an act," She hums. "It's the same thing right? I already fixed that girl's lifespan, what need is there for this world?"

"..."

"Protecting that girl and forcing her to stay here is impossible you know," Okizari closes her piano. "It's the same thing. She loves this place, but the person she loves isn't here. Are you really sure that you're doing what's best for her?"

Tsuchigomori slides open the door to the room and the two turn to him.

"Dear," Tsuchigomori holds Okizari's cheek in his hand. "Ready for the meteor shower?"

Amane leaves the room quietly. Okizari smiles and removes his hand from her cheek. "You don't need to keep acting number five. I know this is only because number seven's order. You made it clear to me that you didn't like me anymore the other day."

Tsuchigomori stares at the woman. She wasn't exactly right, but she wasn't exactly wrong either. He didn't despise her, he... just wasn't so clear on what he felt for her anymore.

"Well, I'll be hoping that those two pipsqueaks would find the exit before their memories are erased." Okizari sighs. "It'd be a shame if they forgot about the real world,"

"... why don't you like it here?"

Okizari lets out a small laugh. "You know me better than this number five. I was never happy with a fake world around me. After all, I fell in love with the you that helped me run away from home, that proposed to me under the stars, and then neglected me for days after I had our child."

A sad smile makes its way onto her face.

"Besides! There's no supernatural to hunt and kill here. I'm bound to lose it sooner or later!"

Tsuchigomori stares at the girl. She's changed. She had the light from before he broke her heart, and she had the hair, but she didn't have the spirit. She looks like a doll.

"Ah also, did you know about my rumor before number seven came to be?"

"Hm?"

"My rumor! It went something like, did you know? If you perform in the music room starting at 5pm, the ghost in the room would grant you a wish in exchange for a smile. Since her smile had been torn away from her after her child." Okizari feels tears run down her face. "Ah, sorry..."

Tsuchigomori feels himself wiping her tears before he can reason it out. Her cheek is soft and warm compared to his hand.

"You can cry," Tsuchigomori rests his chin on top of her head as she sobs into his chest. He didn't know what had happened after she ran away. He had only heard that a day later, she had passed away. He passed shortly after she did, so he never found out what had happened to their child.

Lightning crackles outside the room and Okizari pulls away. She opens the window and blinks at the sight of her students, specifically the four from before, fighting Hanako.

"Ah-" Okizari runs out the classroom to catch the kids. She arrives onto the grass field as she watches Nene pedal to the moon. The breeze catches her off guard as she watches the kids fly into the moon.

"Fly me to the moon... literally huh?" Hanako floats down to meet the woman and she smiles.

"Well? How was it, Yugi-kun?"

"You were right. She didn't like this as much as I thought she would," Hanako mumbles. "You'll be free when the yorishiro is destroyed,"

"Alright," Okizari smiles. The moon had been so pretty in this world too...

-❄︎-

Fun facts:

Picture Perfect Arc was my favorite arc. I cried way too hard from it
S-soft Tsuchigomori? Don't tell me he wouldn't treat his lover carefully I will fight you
Okizari may or may not be a masochist-