𝟙 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

•Sophie's POV•

Sophie slumped back in her chair as she rested her head on the desk in front of her, savoring the coolness. But she wouldn't have done that if she knew who was behind her.

"Already tired, Foster?" Keefe asked, leaning forward from his own desk behind her as he flashed his trademark smirk. "What did you do to get into detention this time?"

She burrowed deeper into her arms as she answered, "I fell asleep in Elvin History."

He smirked, and even though he probably heard her, he seemed to take it upon himself to make her life as miserable as possible. "What was that?" He asked, leaning closer.

"I fell asleep in Elvin History." She repeated once more, trying not to get distracted by his alluring scent of mint and honey.

"Oh?" Keefe said. It was clear that he was trying not to laugh. "I'm so proud. The great Sophie Foster is following in my footsteps!"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "I'm not that great." She mumbled. She rose her head and looked at him accusingly. "And I'm not planning to get stuck in any more detentions!"

Keefe feigned a look of hurt on his face. "Am I really that bad?"

"Bad for me!" Elwin said, walking into the room. "You two have used up practically all the elixirs in the Healing Center! Which is why today you'll help me make some more."

Keefe smirked. "Uh, you sure it's safe to have Foster making elixirs after the 'Great Cape Incident?" He snickered.

Elwin scratched his chin. "Hmm... On second thought, maybe Sophie should just bottle them up."

"Knowing Foster, she'll probably drop one of the glass flasks, pick it up and cut herself, then touch the acid in the flask and be in unbearable pain," Keefe smirked at her. "All in a day's work for the moonlark, I suppose."

Sophie rolled her eyes while Elwin tried to cover up his laughs with coughs — with very little success. But she rolled up her sleeves anyway and watched as Keefe and Elwin arranged the desks into one long counter and begin pulling out ingredients.

After a while, she got bored, and Keefe and Elwin weren't even halfway through with making their first elixirs. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Sure!" Keefe said, bounding over to her. "You can kiss this little boo-boo I got." He pursed his lips up at her as she felt her face go red.

"Sorry, not in my job description." She said as she shoved him away. She walked around peering at the bubbling gray goo that Elwin was stirring. "Seriously, is there anythi—"

Before Sophie finished her sentence, she tripped over one of the desk legs and went flying. The hard marble ground rose to meet her, and she was too unprepared for it to do anything.

Then a pair of strong arms grabbed her and heaved her back up to a standing position.

"There we go," Keefe grunted, still holding her. His eyes roved over her and his smirk became a little bigger as he saw that there weren't any injuries.

"Leave it up to Foster to fulfill my prophecy." He said teasingly, loosening his hold on her to twine their fingers together. Sophie felt a warm tingling in her fingers as she held Keefe's hand. She blushed slightly, though that was camouflaged by her already fire-engine red face from almost face-planting onto the floor.

"How many times have you fallen for me, Foster?" Keefe teased as he disconnected their hands, heading back to the counter with Elwin.

"None." She argued back, face heating up. "I fell because of that desk leg."