Outlived your purpose

At home, the next morning, I catch Simon sneaking in once again. I do even bother trying to give him a disapproving look, I know he does not care. Yet he stops to talk to me this evening. "Sister. You are up early. Are you always up this early?"

"I do not sleep well. I find it difficult to stay in bed after the sun has risen. Did you sleep well?" I raise an eyebrow as I watch him and I am surprised when he pulls the dining room chair out from beside me so that he may join me.

"I did." He pauses. "You have something you wish to say to me. Do you not?"

"It is not so much something to say as it is something to ask. You... you do not intend to marry Daphne and so why do you... dance with her? And buy her flowers? And... make her think that you do intend to marry her. I simply do not wish for you to make a fool of my newest friend brother, that is all. She is a good woman and she is kind and she is beautiful and you... you have such potential to ruin her. Do not do it."

"You sound just like Anthony, except he says it with much more aggression, bared teeth and fists." He let's out a small sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I do not wish to embarrass Daphne, that is in fact the last thing I wish to do."

"That is what you shall do by not marrying her though, I am ever so confused as to how you struggle to see that?" I watch him, frowning slightly. This is probably the most that my brother has ever spoken to me before. "Simon if you... if you have honest intentions then you must tell me, for I am only worried of what it shall mean for both of you."

"I have honest intentions, Delilah." He now stands, stretching his arms upwards as he yawns loudly. "Now, if you shall excuse me, I must bathe before I shall be forced to join the Bridgerton clan at the park. They are having some kind of picnic I believe, I am sure they should enjoy your company. I have heard that you have rather captured their attention."

"They are merely my friends. I cannot say I have had many of those."

"I cannot say so either. Anthony is my oldest and my best friend, but he is also my only friend." With a subtle nod and purse lips, he leaves the room and I follow suite. I bathe and I dress and although I have not been invited, I join him as we meet the Bridgertons. "Lady Bridgerton, you are looking just charming this fine afternoon."

"You are too kind, your grace."

"May I?" Simon makes no excuses before he collects daphne and whisks her away so that they may promenade.

"Lady Bridgerton. I do hope you do mind my invading your picnic. Simon mentioned it and I could not possibly resist." I smile, and she nods, making sure I know it is no bother. I do of course wish to talk with the two brothers but I should tell the viscount of the information I have learnt from my brother this morning. "Viscount Anthony. I could rather do with a walk in this fresh air, should you wish to join me?"

He scowls at me, sucking his lip but stands and grapples my arm. Say what you will about my brother but at least he is gentle with Daphne, Anthony drags me away from his family as though I am a small child who is to be punished for their short and unreasonable temper. "What is it?"

"I spoke with Simon this morning and he swore that his intentions are completely and truly honest." I shrug and watch him, pulling my arm away from his clumsy grip. "That is all I wished to tell you so you need not grasp onto me like you are about to attempt a kidnapping."

"He said the same to myself yesterday as well. I do not know, my lady, I do not know whether I trust him or not. It still seems strange to me. Unless you believe I am overreacting?" He questions me, tilting his head a little. I am shocked that he does ask for my opinion, I did not think he would care so much about what my thoughts on it were.

"Perhaps he is not all that we thought he is. I do think it is a situation we must keep a close monitor on for Daphne's sake but... he spoke of how you are his truest friend. Maybe you should learn to trust him." I narrow my eyes slightly, shrugging and smiling as we walk past a group of giggling debutantes. "A group of your admirers?"

"I do not have admirers and I do not wish for them either. The ladies of the ton are... not for myself."

"So there is someone who is for yourself? But she is not a member of the ton?" I raise an eyebrow as I glance back at the gaggle of girls who continue their gazes at him. "What is she? A prostitute?"

"Don't you-" He begins, composing himself and grunting, breathing in deeply as he tries to stop himself from shouting at me. "She is nothing of the kind because she does not exist. I am not in love and I am not... I... I do not wish to speak to you any longer, you have outlived your purpose."

"Outlived? That feels rather dramatic I must say. What happens now, you shall take me outside and shoot me in the head?" I chase after him, grinning. "Who is she?"

"Why?" He snaps. "Are you jealous?'

"Jealous of a woman who would have to deal with you the entirety of her existence? You said it best yesterday when you deemed it a nightmare." I continue to grin, following him. "Tell me who she is."

"Leave me alone."

"I should like to know who she is!" I grab his wrist as he did mine and he spins around, his face close to my own and I breath sharply in. "W-well?"

"It is not relevant to you and so you shall keep your nose out of my business."

💗Author's note💗

Hi guys! Only me again.

This book hit 2k today and the first Benedict one is on almost 60k!! I'm buzzing so much, I just had to share!

Hope you're still enjoying this, let me know what you're thinking!

All my love,

Ruby x