Happy together

"Well, if that is the world, then I must say I quite enjoyed it." I grin at Benedict and he quickly reciprocates, although I do not think he has stopped grinning since we begun. "Is it time that we go and get another drink yet?"

"I shall go and get the pair of us another drink if that is what my lady wishes." He props himself carefully above me so that he might kiss my lips once more before he gets dressed again. He does not do so fully, only his trousers and his shirt with is untucked messily, one suspender in it's correct place and the other hanging lazily by his side. I cannot help but think how handsome he looks at this moment in time. Not that he does not always look ever so handsome... but that is besides the point and something I do not wish to admit to. "I shall be but a mere moment, do not worry."

"Oh, I shall not."

"Oh, I do not believe such. I am sure you shall cry your heart out until I return back to you." He crouches down by the side of me, my chin resting gently in his hands as he lifts it softly so I must kiss him again. "You are wonderful. Did I say so already? Wonderful."

I keep my eyes on his, and I feel something unfamiliar and something that I am unsure I like so much. It is a strange comfort that I do not recognise. I have never had that feeling when I was at home with my father, nor my brother nor Lady Danbury nor when I was planning on meeting Anthony, nor with Daphne nor Colin nor Eloise. I hesitate and pull my chin away from him. "Is this because you wish for me to call you wondeful as well, Benedict?"

"I should not mind any compliment you wish to give me, my lady."

"You are wonderful also. Now shall you go and get us another drink?"

"Of course."

He retreats after another kiss, and I use this chance to cover myself up at least a little and I am glad that I have done when Siena strolls into the room. She does not hesitate to sit across from me, unbothered completely by the mess and the fact that I am clearly naked. "Siena. I hear it did not go so well with my brother."

"It did not. It seems that this plan of ours has become much easier for yourself. Although I imagine Benedict is a much easier man to convince than your brother, he seems as though he must be ever so desperate if he even agreed to it in the first place..." I do not know why but I hiss at that comment. It makes me feel angry, for her to attempt to insult him as such. It is then that she regards me for a moment, only now really seeming to realise that I do not have any clothes on. "It should be better if I were to take over here."

"Excuse me?" I scoff, gripping my dress tighter to my chest. "And what is that to mean?"

"You do wish to make Anthony angry, do you not? That is why you are hanging around Benedict so? Well it is clearly not working, and so you must give him to me so that I can do a better job." It is so matter of fact that I am slightly put off by it, finding that I am lost for words as I very rarely am. "Do you not agree?"

"Give him to you? What is that to mean?"

"We discussed that I should use Simon and you should use Benedict, and that has not worked. I have had nothing and no reaction from Anthony, no anger and no jealousy and that is what we set out to do. That is what you wish to do, is it not? It is the entire reason you are here with Benedict... you must allow me to take this from here."

"You cannot do that." I argue with her, feeling my cheeks burning red. "Find someone else. You shall not use Bennie."

"Bennie? Oh. I see what has happened here. You have actually become so involved with him, have you not?" Her eyes narrow slightly as she laughs, shaking her head as she tuts. "You have actually fallen for the boy, have you not? That is why you do not wish for me to take over?"

I cannot say anything, only sit and look at her. Words want to happen, they do, but I struggle to express them, scowling at her instead. "I wish for you to leave."

"There is no need to be embarrassed, he is a good man and I am sure he adores you as you seem to clearly adore him." It is then that she rises to her feet, bowing her head gently. "My lady... I hope things go quite well with Bennie. I am sure you shall be entirely happy together."

She leaves and I am left alone with the thoughts that spin around my head. I am not in love with Benedict, I could not be. I am not one of these young and fickle ladies that falls for every man that looks in her direction. It is a relationship I started solely to anger his older brother. Could it be that Siena is right and I find myself in an unexpected romance with the second born?

I do not know and I do not wish to wait to find out. It is a moment of panic that causes me to dress with haste and leave the house, rushing back to where I reside with Lady Danbury.

💗 Author's note 💗

I've literally spent all day trying to write a 2,000 word essay due in on Monday. I managed like 500 words in 5 hours, but I wrote this entire 1,000 chapter in about 20 minutes 😭 wish I cared about my degree as much as I care about Benedict. make it make sense!!

All my love,

Ruby x