Chapter Eighteen

You awoke the next morning with Sadie faithfully sleeping between you and Trevor. It seemed he'd turned toward you in his sleep and curled an arm around her. Look at that brute cuddling with a cute little kitty. What's next, snow in Sandy Shores?

You decided to let the sleeping dog lie and stealthily got up to see Gabi already eating.

"'Morning, sleepyhead," Gabi whispered. She nodded her head toward a pile of pills. "I got the perfect hangover cure right there for you."

You took the pills and nodded your thanks as you dry swallowed them. "Where were you last night?"

"Oh," Gabi laughed, "wouldn't you like to know?" She paused, waiting for you to have a comeback, but when you didn't say anything, she finally gave her answer. "I picked up a shift at the Yellow Jack. I was getting worried about you and figured it'd be better to work my worries away. Obviously, they didn't work. You got Crazy in your room after you guys did God-knows-what last night, and I don't want anything to do with that."

You sucked air through your cheeks and gave her a sympathetic look. "He needs help, Gabi. I know you're not his number one fan, but the dude needs somebody on his side. I'm not asking you to fall in love with him, just tolerate him. Please."

Gabi gave you a suspicious gaze. "How long?"

"I don't know," you admitted. "However long he needs help for. I'll try and spend some time with him in his trailer so you can have Trevor-free time every now and then. I'm hoping it'll be about a month before he's better."

"Why?" Gabi asked. "Why do you want to help that... that psycho? What do you see in him that you don't see in m-in other, better people?"

"That's not nice, Gabi," you scolded. Truth is, he actually likes me. He isn't one to beat around the bush or lie about that shit. "The least I owe him is getting him some help for what he's struggling with right now. He's done a lot for me."

"What," Gabi said with a spiteful laugh, "kidnap your friend and dick you down? Which, by the way, you still haven't told me about."

You hesitated telling Gabi about the threesome, then decided not to. If Gabi tells Tracey, it's over. "Michael... slept in the van and Trevor and I took the bed. We pulled straws."

"You got the short straw, huh?" Gabi laughed.

"Yeah, ha, ha, very funny. Long story short, we did the deed and it was just a one-time thing," you said. Gabi shot you a skeptical look. "Really, it was! He's just staying here for a little bit to get some help with a personal issue he can't fix on his own."

"Well, when you inevitably get knocked up, I better be the bridesmaid, the unicorn, and the godmother," Gabi responded with a sniff. Jealousy and sadness flashed in her eyes for a brief moment before mischievousness and curiosity took over. "So, what is it? This personal issue, this... this struggle?"

"Well, my roomie," you heard from behind you, "if you must know, it's a getting-clean-kind-of-struggle. Not that you'd know how that works, you little cokehound."

"Really with the insults, man? You're a dick!" Gabi yelled.

"You know, Gabi, you're a bit nosier than I'd like you to be. Getting up in my sex life, my business life, and now, my home life," Trevor sneered. He knew he was winding Gabi up. Her arms began to shake and she bared her lips in rage.

"Okay, both of you, calm down!" you interjected before the tension thickened any further. "It's 1:00 in the afternoon, no need to keep riling each other up. No good's gonna come from that."